• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

?? Bill of Sale for Private Firearm Transactions ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
BoS create as many if not more issues than they solve.
Please elaborate. How so? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking why you feel this way.

HTRDNCK said:
If you have a folder of BoS from years of trading. and law enforcement gets hold of it...
The only reason LE would ever get hold of it would be if they had a warrant to search my house. Which would mean that they have substantial evidence against me in a crime that would convince a judge to issue a search warrant for my house. If you don't break the laws that would give them reason to search your house, then this is a mute point.

HTRDNCK said:
Factual accuracy on paperwork is a real problem.
A misspelled last name on a BoS is a lot better than "Honest officer, I sold that gun to some guy with black hair in the Publix parking lot a couple years ago. I think his name was Bob".

HTRDNCK said:
Just simply comply with what the law requires and don't make up new rules and hoops to jump through. It is this ultimately detrimental to the hobby we all love.
Respectfully disagree with the "detrimental" comment. And I don't think signing a piece of paper is that big of a hoop to jump through.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. I just disagree with you. And if we can agree to disagree, then that's fine.

if i have a gun i got from a private party, theres no paper linking me to it. if i sell it to you with a bos, i'm now linked to it. not knowing you. now you go rob a store with it and guess who's in trouble. i follow the law. don't see that i should do more.

This is exactly my concern. It seems the best policy might be to do one or the other. Either have a BoS going in and out of your collection, or never do them. But then that's where my question regarding PM's comes up

I have guns that I bought from home shops that have long since gone out of business, with the owners moving, died or disappeared, so there is no paperwork available. Same as no BOS. A few years back we had a robbery and 2 pistols were taken. I reported the theft, and the LEO's asked where they came from, which was private sale. They were satisfied with that answer.
Interestingly, one of the guns was used in a drug shootout in Atlanta, right around the corner from a patrol car. Both shooters arrested and my stolen gun confiscated to be used as evidence. At some point the pistol, a German Walther PP, disappeared from the police property room! So much for paper trails.

Please elaborate. How so? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking why you feel this way.

The only reason LE would ever get hold of it would be if they had a warrant to search my house. Which would mean that they have substantial evidence against me in a crime that would convince a judge to issue a search warrant for my house. If you don't break the laws that would give them reason to search your house, then this is a mute point.

A misspelled last name on a BoS is a lot better than "Honest officer, I sold that gun to some guy with black hair in the Publix parking lot a couple years ago. I think his name was Bob".

Respectfully disagree with the "detrimental" comment. And I don't think signing a piece of paper is that big of a hoop to jump through.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. I just disagree with you. And if we can agree to disagree, then that's fine.

And I respectfully disagree with your view. Do as you will, and I will do as I have done throughout my adult life. It has served me well and I am comfortable in knowing that I am law-abiding with regard to this issue. Until the laws change I will remain.

have fun, done.....

CYA.If you meet em on here you have there phone # and most people aren't so damn paronoid about signing a BOS ceptin some of this bunch.Believe this there is a lot of info out there on every one of us and it don't take much to get it,so get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom