Bill of Sale with your gun purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud9899

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been touched on before but here's an instance where a "Bill of Sale" came in real handy.

I know a gentleman that lives in Richmond county / Augusta,GA. After chasing a guy that had broken into his home he discharged a round (says in the ground) inside city limits trying to get the guy to stop running, he didn't stop and got away. Cops come, take his statement, take him to jail and take his firearm. After a few months and bunch of money to a lawyer this has passed and he went to get his firearm back. They claimed that without a Bill of Sale for the pistol showing ownership he would NOT be allowed to get it back as he had no proof it was his even though they took it from him.
Just sharing this in case anyone ever wonders if completing a Bill of Sale when you run buy a gun from someone is really needed, nope you don't have to but it could certainly make things easier down the road if you find yourself trying to get an impounded firearm back from the police.

Anyone with more knowledge on this subject I'd like to hear it. Seemed to me they were just trying to find anyway possible to keep his pistol.

nope.gif

Although I understand your sentiment, I intentionally try not to purchase anything that as a proof of purchase tied to it. Although I have nothing to hide, I have no desire for anyone to know what I have/don't have...it's none of their business! If you are concerned with proving ownership of the weapon, take pics of the weapon and record the serial number as well as the date/time/location it was purchased. Unless a proof of purchase is signed in front of a notary, I don't see how it would hold up in court anyways (I'm not a lawyer so I may be way off base) .e.g., I bought the weapon from John Smith and his Carry permit number is xxx.xxx.xxx - that's just your word, not actual proof of purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom