• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill of sale: yes or no?

Jonboy140

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
112   0
Reaction score
I am new to firearms trading/selling and was wondering what yalls opinion on writing up a bill of sale for firearm transactions is. What are the advantages/disadvantages, legal ramifications, etc.?

They mean nothing legally. There is no advantage because they mean nothing legally. You have no requirement to fill one out and a bill of sale is pretty much useless for anything. The downside is they generally want information that some people would rather not have sitting on a piece of paper in someone else's possession (i.e. DL number, address, etc) so you may lose a sale/buy if you desire one as many people will not do a trade/sale if a BOS is required.

The law does not require and I have no desire to impose unnecessary constraints upon another person. That's just for me and it is more of an ideological choice. If I have reason to suspect they are not a GA resident, then its NO SALE. If it is something that makes you feel more comfortable then go with your gut feeling. After all, everyone here is concerned with self protection.

Some buyers don't like a paper trail, some don't mind it. If you're going to want a bill of sale, post that with your listing...that way there are no surprises for the buyer.

ATF requires that you only buy/sell face to face to a resident of your state and that you not have reason to suspect that they are not legal to buy. A GA drivers license/ID meet the residency requirements.

A bill of sale(as jlcnuke pointed out) is worthless. If you DO decide to use one make sure you post that requirement in your ads and/or mention it in your early PM's as some people, myself included, tend to get pissed if we get to a meet and you ambush us with a bill of sale. I, for one, will walk away and leave negative feedback.

Maybe if you decide to use one you can make it your signature line.

|
|
v

Back
Top Bottom