• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill of sale: yes or no?

I'm not sure you answered my question back many posts, Tim. If a female said "you can have my name, but you are not getting my address", would you refuse to sell to her?

Would you expect my personal information if a bought a TV, ammo, or garden tools from you?

I'm not sure you answered my question back many posts, Tim. If a female said "you can have my name, but you are not getting my address", would you refuse to sell to her?

Would you expect my personal information if a bought a TV, ammo, or garden tools from you?

Sorry, missed that question. I understand that point and I would be willing to sell to someone if they didn't want to put their street address but I would want at least city and state and a phone number. Just a way to say, "This is the person I sold the firearm to and this is how to contact them."

After reading this thread I did modify the BoS I was using somewhat. The one I was using (one I pulled off the net) looked basically like a non-government version of the 4473. It asked many of the same questions and it could be intimidating even to someone that is pro-BoS. I simplified what I am using to ask for name, address, phone number and an email address with a simple statement that the person is authorized to buy a firearm in the state of GA.

The "government" doesn't require it.
I'm not doing it because the government requires it, I'm doing it to cover my ass and show a record of the transaction and transfer of ownership of the firearm.

I've got several BoS on firearms I've sold and to be honest I couldn't tell you the names on any of them, I've got them in a folder if I ever need to reference them but that is it. I understand the desire to protect personal information but wanting documentation of who you sold a firearm to seems reasonable to me.

Do you really understand the desire to protect personal information? So you keeping someone else personal information on file in your home for the rest of your life seems reasonable to you?
Wow. :confused2:

If this makes you sleep better at night and the people are willing to give you their information on a forever basis, rock on!:clap2:

I won't knock anybody for requiring a BOS, it's their gun, their business. If I were going to knock anybody it would be the guy who willingly gives up his personal information to held in a private file indefinitely. But, that's his business too. So I won't knock anybody.
A successful deal is when both parties leave happy: if BOS exchange = everyone's happy, it's been a good deal. :hug:
But it's not for me. :wave:

What about the John Doe that moves to Alabama and retains his old Georgia DL (which can be renewed for 8 or 10 years),and skips back across the state line, just to buy a weapon from you?
How do you explain this on your way to jail. And he also stated that he was not a convicted felon and it turns out he is.

As long as you don't do it knowingly. It says nothing about "verifying" state of residency.
Hell ya'll will be wanting to do finger prints the next thing you know.

John Doe
222 down the road
some town, GA Now he lives in Alabama and a convicted felon that you just filled out a BOS and there is no doubt that you sold him the weapon.

Just because it's illegal to possess 2 DL, doesn't mean that it's not done.

I still believe we need to separate the weapons categories. Not handguns/long guns, but the paranoid sellers from the non paranoid sellers.

LOL! Be sure to write a post explaining how you THOUGHT that guy was a GA resident on your way to jail. Clearly reading isn't your strong point. One last time for the cheap seats..."A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State," This part deals SOLELY with residency and REQUIRES that the buyer be a resident. Get your crayon out and trace that part.

Now on a separate page copy this part "if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law."

Two separate thoughts...I know...really hard ain't it?

So, if Michael Bloomberg sends someone here to buy a gun, they use a rented or borrowed car and tell you they are a GA resident. You are going to jail.

if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.

Funny thing is I bet you support requiring an ID to vote. I know I support it. But I also understand that a simple peek at a Georgia Drivers license can prevent a trip to jail and loss of the right to keep and bear. But I guess looking at that little card is too "anal" for ya. ALso, maybe you missed the thread recently about the guy with dual residency with GA and FLA who couldn't get a GA DL without surrendering his FLA DL and so couldn't buy guns in GA legally(handguns). Laws may be funky but they are still laws.

The way I see it if a useless piece of paper helps you sleep at night then knock yourself out. If you require one then please put that in your ad that you require a bill of sale so people know. If you just want me to sign then I'll scribble something on there. You ain't getting any personal information though.

What about the John Doe that moves to Alabama and retains his old Georgia DL (which can be renewed for 8 or 10 years),and skips back across the state line, just to buy a weapon from you?
How do you explain this on your way to jail. And he also stated that he was not a convicted felon and it turns out he is.

Yup there are con men and criminals who will at least try to get you. This is as possible as scenario as any and you can't prevent everything. The things I think about are the ones you can prevent with a pinch of caution. Just asking for a drivers license can stop an undercover sting operator from getting you. That's a few seconds well invested to me. Likewise, if you tell me you just got outta the joint, I ain't selling it. Or if you tell me you are just picking it up for X..sorry bro, you ain't poicking THIS one up. That's a straw purchase. I'm not going to ask you if you did time or are straw purchasing, but if you tell me you are I'd be breaking the law to sell.

It's not really about it being a BOS , it's about having someones personal info. Which most of us don't want to give . . . & can you blame us!! Your more than welcome to want a BOS and you probably need to put it in your ad to let folks know before hand, and IMO . . . your ad will probably sit longer than most though!!

It could be some crazy insane deal heavily favored to me and i will still pass on an ad with someone wanting a BOS

I wouldn't trade a hi-point for a glock with BOS required. . . seriously!!

Last edited:
When you're a buyer you should be more interested in a Bill of sale .... here's the thing .... I like to think the best of people but we've all dealt with someone who decided they want to trade back and are mad when you won't ...

The bill of sale proves that you've acquired the gun from the person you got it from legally and if the guy you trade or buy from changes his mind and is pissed that you won't trade back he can't lie and say that you stole it.... without the bill of sale it's your word against his and if he's got documentation that he purchased from a dealer or whatever and it's now in your possession his word is the one they'll take...

A BoS is far less proof than the gun listing on websites and your email correspondence. Buying at a gun show would be different, but the burden would still be on the person claiming you stole it as it would be easy to prove you were both at the gun show on the same day and that his intent was to sell weapons.

Back
Top Bottom