• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill of sale: yes or no?

It's still fun we just have to remember that these things that we are trading are weapons and not baseball cards and we should treat them and their exchange with respect and care.

The hilarious bit is that people are worried about their name and address being out there but they sign up for kroger, public, cvs whatever cards to get the sale prices and give up not only their personal information but also allow them to track all of their purchases for life ....

Your name, address and even drivers license numbers are not secrets ... I can pay $35 and get them from a regular sheriff service background check without ever talking to you.

It's still fun we just have to remember that these things that we are trading are weapons and not baseball cards and we should treat them and their exchange with respect and care.

Where under "respect and care" do I find a BoS?

Guns are legal products like any other tool. If you would not require a BoS for a hammer, why would you demand it for a gun?

The hilarious bit is that people are worried about their name and address being out there but they sign up for kroger, public, cvs whatever cards to get the sale prices and give up not only their personal information but also allow them to track all of their purchases for life ....

Your name, address and even drivers license numbers are not secrets ... I can pay $35 and get them from a regular sheriff service background check without ever talking to you.

That is not entirely accurate.

Anonymity is the privilege of every member on here. I choose not to exercise my right because I put food on my table by making myself known to as many people as possible.

If I choose, I can surf from Starbucks and make contact with a burner phone. You can be as anonymous as you like even with Kroger plus and other shopping cards.

I agree. Not gonna do it. Being active duty I Typic all have to bring a lot of paperwork to prove my legal state s in GA. Which is fine I keep it in my car anyways becaus you never know. But one guy wanted a copy of my orders and mil ID to keep. I told him no you can see them but your not getting a copy. deal was off. My orders have mine and my wife's ssn on them and I'm fairly certain were not allowed to give people copies of our mil ID (because it's a "sensitive" item), which also has my ssn on it. But hey the worst thing that's gonna happen as a seller is losing a sale/trade. As a buyer IMHO no gun is worth the a$$ pain of identity theft...

But I mean prove someone signed a bill of sale? It's like that Dave Chappell skit about R Kelly, "Okay, I'd have to see a video of him singing "Pee On You," two forms of government ID, a police officer there to verify the whole thing, four or five of my buddies and Neal taking notes, and R. Kelly's grandma to confirm his identity"

Last edited:

Well, Kroger and CVS are not gathering your personal information because you "may turn out to be a shoplifter" and need to be turned into local authorities either. And, unlike "Mr. Smith" who has a folder full of BOS with personal information, Kroger and CVS are liable for what they do with your information. "Mr. Smith" is not.

As far as requesting personal information from the Sheriff's office on a background check, it's not quite that easy to get this information as paying $35 and walking out with someone's ID. Most LE agencys require you to have the full name, middle initial, date of birth and more often than not a social security number of the person you are "checking" along with their signed permission for you to do (in most cases). You've also got to have a specific reason for requesting the information: Potential employment is usually the reason. Your name/address is then entered into the system as the person requesting the information. If this person's ID is ever stolen your name will be in the audit trail in the subsequent investigation. So, most ID thieves are not going to a LE agency to get your info.
And yet again, there is an audit trail here vs "Mr Smith" and his manila folder.

Back
Top Bottom