• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill of sale: yes or no?

For those of you who feel obligated to keep paperwork on everybody you buy and sell guns to you may want to look into what the ATF considers a "Dealer".

You may not have to do the whole... "but Sir, I sold that gun to John Smith, 123 Dontgivaflip Lane, Nowhere, GA. Here is the proof!" with your local LEO

-BUT-

you may have to do the "but Sir, I just do this for a hobby!" "Really. Then can you explain all this paperwork that shows you bought all these guns for $XXX and sold them for $XXXX.? Looks like you are running a for profit business to me. People who do this for a hobby don't keep paperwork."

Don't believe me? Do a Google search and find me all the times where a BOS got someone out of getting convicted for owning stolen guns or got them off if they happened to be in possession of a gun that was used to commit a homicide. Please post all your results.

Then do a search for people getting convicted of being gun dealers. See how many of them were hung with their own paperwork.

Oh, and Talkstosquirrels... I am calling BS on your story. There is absolutely no way that cops would know that "there are bodies" on a gun at the scene of an accident. On top of that, there is no way they would confiscate legally-owned firearms just because you got into a car accident, unless you have something else on you that would require them to do so. On top of that, they don't conduct ballistics tests on every single gun they run across. So, for all of those reasons, I am saying that what you posted is bull.

Last edited:
Want a BO'S? Don't want to provide the info for a BOS?
Each side has a choice, one choice is as relevant as the other. This is a free country and free site, it is crazy to get so upset over such a non issue.
The reason I don't want BOS is I want the Feds to be confused as possible if they ever come to get them. But that'sy choice. But if someone wants a BOS I can provide my name, maybe an address. I won't be mad at that person, it is his decision on how he wants to conduct his business.

For those of you who feel obligated to keep paperwork on everybody you buy and sell guns to you may want to look into what the ATF considers a "Dealer".

You may not have to do the whole... "but Sir, I sold that gun to John Smith, 123 Dontgivaflip Lane, Nowhere, GA. Here is the proof!" with your local LEO

-BUT-

you may have to do the "but Sir, I just do this for a hobby!" "Really. Then can you explain all this paperwork that shows you bought all these guns for $XXX and sold them for $XXXX.? Looks like you are running a for profit business to me. People who do this for a hobby don't keep paperwork."

Don't believe me? Do a Google search and find me all the times where a BOS got someone out of getting convicted for owning stolen guns or got them off if they happened to be in possession of a gun that was used to commit a homicide. Please post all your results.

Then do a search for people getting convicted of being gun dealers. See how many of them were hung with their own paperwork.

Oh, and Talkstosquirrels... I am calling BS on your story. There is absolutely no way that cops would know that "there are bodies" on a gun at the scene of an accident. On top of that, there is no way they would confiscate legally-owned firearms just because you got into a car accident, unless you have something else on you that would require them to do so. On top of that, they don't conduct ballistics tests on every single gun they run across. So, for all of those reasons, I am saying that what you posted is bull.

This is the most accurate post on the subject so far. I have been saying all along the only ones that want the paperwork are the wannabe unlicensed gun dealers.

-BUT-

Best post in this thread so far.

If sometime in the future the Big Brother comes knocking I hope they have a memory digger upper because I trade ALLOT and have a short memory !

Last edited:
If you're smart enough to include something in the bill of sale like "by signing bill of sale purchaser verifies that they are not a convicted felon and are eligible to legally own the firearm described herein" you can prove that you have not knowingly provided a firearm to someone that shouldn't have one when the law comes knocking on your door .... which is enough to keep you out of prison in and of itself.

How does a BoS protect you if you "accidentally" sell to a felon?

If you're smart enough to include something in the bill of sale like "by signing bill of sale purchaser verifies that they are not a convicted felon and are eligible to legally own the firearm described herein" you can prove that you have not knowingly provided a firearm to someone that shouldn't have one when the law comes knocking on your door .... which is enough to keep you out of prison in and of itself.

Do you have any case law to support that?

Back
Top Bottom