• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill of sale: yes or no?

No. A few I have signed when the seller springs them on me simply because it's something I want or I drove really far. I will not be trading with those individuals again as well.

Everybody wants less restrictive laws, but continue to require more than the law requires.
Even convicted felons would be willing to do a BOS. WTF

What else do some of you fear mongrels do that is more restrictive than the law requires?
I'll bet some of you pay more income taxes than are required, just to insure that you pay tour fair share. LMFAO

Federal law only requires that you verify that the buyer is a resident of your state. If you sell to someone in another state, you simply ship the gun to their favorite dealer, who will complete the necessary NICS check and paperwork. A Bill of Sale is essentially worthless.

I don't do BOS. If someone sprung one on me at a meet, I would just drive off. I'm not letting someone put a piece of paper in their filing cabinet with my personal info. No way Jose!

I always wondered about this myself, I see more than a few people on here are highly against a bill of sale. I really don't get it, I've sold and bought several handguns and I've always required a BoS. Like talkstosquirrels (great name) said I'd rather have a paper trail showing a transaction was made than not. I find it hard to believe that a BoS would be of no benefit in a situation where the gun's ownership was questioned. If I sold a gun to someone, it gets stolen from them, then a crime is committed, they are going to come and chat with me. I can tell them, I sold that gun to some guy on ODT and he showed me a GA DL or I can say, "I sold that gun a while back, hold on and I'll get the bill of sale on it." Seems like an easy one to me.

It's definitely your right to not want to fill out a BoS or pass on my gun if I require one. I've made note that in the future I'll mention BoS required when selling. Selling a firearm is a hell of a lot different than selling a couch or a TV.

I agree.

For the first time about a year ago, a guy asked me to do a bill of sale when I bought a rifle from him. I said "no problem" and signed it and kept my own copy.....

Once I got to reading it, I decided it would be a good idea to do in the future when I sell something. It has pretty good language about the buyer being legally able to purchase and possess a firearm (i.e.-a state resident, and not a convicted felon.) I think that is important.

If it turns out that your gun gets into the wrong hands, you can always have that BOS to show the investigators that you did your due diligence and made an honest effort to determine that the buyer was representing to you that he was in the clear.

-As far as some people saying that this BOS would have no legal value, I strongly disagree. It is true that it doesn't need to be done, but something like this could be very valuable if your serial number somehow comes up in an investigation.

-I like the BOS idea. I will be doing them in the future. Don't care if it scares off some buyers. I would rather have a few people turn up their nose than leave my butt flapping in the wind with no good explanation of how my firearm wound up getting involved in something undesirable.

(Also, keep in mind that just selling to a convicted felon is a crime. If you have something in writing saying that the buyer was not a convicted felon-that sure as hell would be a lot better coverage than just going on someone's word.)

Last edited:
I agree.

For the first time about a year ago, a guy asked me to do a bill of sale when I bought a rifle from him. I said "no problem" and signed it and kept my own copy.....

Once I got to reading it, I decided it would be a good idea to do in the future when I sell something. It has pretty good language about the buyer being legally able to purchase and possess a firearm (i.e.-a state resident, and not a convicted felon.) I think that is important.

If it turns out that your gun gets into the wrong hands, you can always have that BOS to show the investigators that you did your due diligence and made an honest effort to determine that the buyer was representing to you that he was in the clear.

-As far as some people saying that this BOS would have no legal value, I strongly disagree. It is true that it doesn't need to be done, but something like this could be very valuable if your serial number somehow comes up in an investigation.

-I like the BOS idea. I will be doing them in the future. Don't care if it scares off some buyers. I would rather have a few people turn up their nose than leave my butt flapping in the wind with no good explanation of how my firearm wound up getting involved in something undesirable.

(Also, keep in mind that just selling to a convicted felon is a crime. If you have something in writing saying that the buyer was not a convicted felon-that sure as hell would be a lot better coverage than just going on someone's word.)

Exactly. I'm not trying to make anyone's life difficult or infringe on their privacy rights, I'm just trying to CYA.

I agree with that. If someone has a CCW permit (I don't understand GWL), it seems reasonable not to require one, but it still shows that you unloaded it on someone else. I recently renewed my CCW and was late, so I had to do the whole thing over. There is a new question that asks about being mentally competent, and I know people who have CCWs that are definitely not who I will not go shooting with. :p

JD,

In Georgia there is no such thing a CCW, Concealed Weapons License, Concealed Weapons Permit, or anything that has to do with Concealed. It in now called a Georgia Weapons Carry License. In years past it was called a Georgia Firearms License.

It covers Weapons, which includes firearms and knives over 5" in length. It is an issue we deal with everyday, and we work hard to break the habit of saying any of the other. Part of our education process at GeorgiaCarry.Org is to try and let folks understand what kind of License they have and how it allows them to carry.

Also. part of recent changes in the law, are that each time you renew your GWCL, it starts the process all over again. We used to be able to renew, without fingerprints, by just paying a visit to the Probate Court. Under current law, every 5 years you are required to apply all over again.

Please visit us at www.GeorgiaCarry.Org and see what we have to offer and what we have done to further your carry rights in the State of Georgia.

Thanks,

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom