Votes: 16 16.2%
  • NO, I wont sign your copy or show you any type of ID

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • NO, Ill show ya ID though.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I like PIE!

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters
No paper for me, thanks. I'll gladly show id and answer any eligibility questions but that's as far as I go. I understand that being in a FFL's bound book for a particular serial #, one doesn't want it to fall into the wrong hands. But a BOS or even a GWL is not going to prevent that. If you really don't feel comfortable selling the item, then don't. Just MHO. In the end, its the seller's perogative to name requirements and the buyer's to accept or keep on scrollin....

So if LE comes to you and asks about a gun in your name found at a crime scene, you're going to reply with "I sold it". And what are you going to do when they say "prove it." You have no serial number and the only tie to the sale is your electronic footprint on the ODT. I'll tell you what I would do, hand them a piece of paper with a date, name and serial number....

We could go on and on and on about this, because we both agree that the point is moot.

And, no, you're not rambling.:blah::)

Ayup...I sold it...to who? Good question occifer....er....lemme see

Now just between you and me I COULD make out BoS's for ALL my guns, get my third cousin Larry and his brothers Darrel and Daryl to sign them left handed as Eduardo Finkelschmidt and then I'd have all the proof of a name, serial # and signature. Once again. we meet in the mootle ;)

I'm glad I'm not rambling, I'm just finished a 16 hour shift on the tail end of a 10 day work week... I FEEL like a rambler(BIG R).

Firewall makes another good point..celphones leave records too. Not to mention Homeland security probably has computers sniffing for "keywords" and combination's so if you say "White house" and "peanut butter" the men in black will come and take you away withOUT a BoS.

Ayup...I sold it...to who? Good question occifer....er....lemme see

Now just between you and me I COULD make out BoS's for ALL my guns, get my third cousin Larry and his brothers Darrel and Daryl to sign them left handed as Eduardo Finkelschmidt and then I'd have all the proof of a name, serial # and signature. Once again. we meet in the mootle ;)

I'm glad I'm not rambling, I'm just finished a 16 hour shift on the tail end of a 10 day work week... I FEEL like a rambler(BIG R).

Firewall makes another good point..celphones leave records too. Not to mention Homeland security probably has computers sniffing for "keywords" and combination's so if you say "White house" and "peanut butter" the men in black will come and take you away withOUT a BoS.

That peanut butter I had at the white house on the corner was the bomb! It was a total assassination of my senses.

The "mootle" indeed.:D

If someone wants a BOS ill be glad to meet them at a dealer and they can pay for a transfer. The law doesnt require a BOS to a instate transfer.

I don't care either way. I NEVER ask for one, but I have had two recent times, when the people wanted it. That's fine you will get my name and signature but that's it....No license number etc... I have had both my creditcard (bank card) stolen and that was a huge headache, and when I was like 2 I had my Identity stolen and all sorts of crazy stuff done with it, My parents were like HE IS 2!!!!! He Is not an adult....lol.....That took a while for them to sort out, but they did.

Either way is fine with me, but I do not require one.

So if LE comes to you and asks about a gun in your name found at a crime scene, you're going to reply with "I sold it". And what are you going to do when they say "prove it." You have no serial number and the only tie to the sale is your electronic footprint on the ODT.

Since I am innocent until proven guilty and the burden of proof lies with the state...

Yeah, I might show them the "electronic footprint" here on the ODT and give them the phone number that I talked to you on. If that isn't good enough then they can go pound sand because I didn't do anything illegal.

I have signed a BOS before but I would never give the kind of info some of you guys are asking for.

I have never asked for a BOS, and until the law changes, I never will.

I sold a gun not too long ago, I don't care if someone wants a BOS or not.But what I did do is in the pick for the for sale add is the serial # on the gun and stating when it was sold. So If a crime happens after that I will have more proof than the Gov will as far as proving me guilty, and I have copied the pm's b/w me and the buyer say that they will take it. I try to do something just incase but the gun was never in my name, I got it on a trade so they should'nt come looking for me, thats kind of the beauty of it.

I am a PIE man myself.

For those that require a full BOS (with address and phone number), my question is this. Are you willing to protect my information to the same degree that other entities that require this information have to (Privacy Act)? If you can't, then you are not getting my information.

Not that I don't think that those who require a BOS think that they are covering their six, but if someone breaks into my house because and it is later discovered that they decided to target my house becasue when they broke into yours they found a record stating that I had bought a gun from you and they figured that my house was a good target, you better believe that you will be named in a civil lawsuit.

Far-fetched? The chances are about the same as someone knocking on your door looking for the owner of a particular firearm. Not very likely, but some seem to think it is an everyday occurance.

Reality check......You can get as much "justice" as you can afford to pay for.
When the proverbial knock at the door does come, all this "legal" advice from amateurs won't be worth the paper it ISN'T written on.
Not trying to offend ANYONE, I've just seen the system work and innocent until proven guilty in today's world sounds good if you say it real fast......but when it comes right down to it, just like any other confrontation, you have to have SOMETHING (BOS, contract, eye witness etc) to defend yourself with.
Would you buy a car without paperwork, a house, insurance (a bos is insurance), a purebreed dog...ask a judge , ask a prosecuting attorney or an attorney friend.
Your freedom doesn't depend any more on the idea that the law "only requires", it depends upon what a JURY decides a reasonable and prudent person woud do in the same circumstances.
If the gun you buy or sell never gets involved in anything illegal, then the fact you have a bill of sale is known only to you and the other party in the transaction, if it becomes an instrument of a violent crime, you'll be darn glad to have one...have you priced attorneys these days. For the lack of a piece of paper, you can end up selling your cars, house, spending all your savings, it isn't a joke folks...it REAL WORLD.

Last edited:
For the lack of a piece of paper, you can end up selling your cars, house, spending all your savings, it isn't a joke folks...it REAL WORLD.

Not trying to be confrontational here, but could you please point me to an instance where this has happened?

I have looked for one and I cannot find a single instance. If you know of one, please clue me in as it may change my stance on this issue.

Back
Top Bottom