• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Black panthers (4 legged variety)

I encountered a black panther 40 years ago in Walker County, Ga. Northwest Ga. I watched it take water on grandparents farm as it carefully watched me. I walked slowly backwards until the terrain assisted in my getaway. By the way I was carrying a SW 357 model 19 and a 22 semi auto and chose the 357 had it come for me. Just the sound of it firing was reason I relied on the handgun as I would have never hit a fast moving target.

So your telling me that your family knew where one was after they were completely eradicated and on top of that it was the first black one to ever exist at the same time. Seems like if they knew so much they would have realized the importance of there find. You may have taken a story told to amuse you to seriously. I could buy into seeing a mountain lion, but there were and are zero black ones ever documented. We can track, capture and get trail cam pics of the only jaguar on Arizona. If there were black mountain lions around there would be proof. Somebody would have shot, trapped, hit, photographed or found a dead one.

There are none period not just in Ga they do not exist.
Cougar coloring is plain (hence the Latin concolor) but can vary greatly between individuals and even between siblings. The coat is typically tawny, but ranges to silvery-grey or reddish, with lighter patches on the under body including the jaws, chin, and throat. Infants are spotted and born with blue eyes and rings on their tails;[35] juveniles are pale, and dark spots remain on their flanks.[33] Despite anecdotes to the contrary, all-black coloring (melanism) has never been documented in cougars.[44] The term "black panther" is used colloquially to refer to melanistic individuals of other species, particularly jaguars and leopards

Large breed cat expert here. :rolleyes:

This is the build your looking for.
Cougar.jpg
Well that dosent even resemble the build of one, if it is one its almost dead its so skinny. From the size of it I would say house cat.
This one was on another GA forum and was seen in north Ga

i50.tinypic.com_k9gnlg.jpg
That resembles a dog

Sound like he's got a (black panther) hair up his butt.
Not all just tired of stupid people opening there mouths and then you present them with facts and they deny it. Like dealing with Democrats. I have read alot of stuff on Mountain Lions and spent many hours learning about them. I am not a expert but I know the difference in fact and fiction.

Not all just tired of stupid people opening there mouths and then you present them with facts and they deny it. Like dealing with Democrats. I have read alot of stuff on Mountain Lions and spent many hours learning about them. I am not a expert but I know the difference in fact and fiction.

However strongly you feel about this it still doesn't give you cause to disrespect and dismiss a mans ancestors and family traditions that have been passed down whether they are relevent to todays "scientific fact" or not.

I encountered a black panther 40 years ago in Walker County, Ga. Northwest Ga. I watched it take water on grandparents farm as it carefully watched me. I walked slowly backwards until the terrain assisted in my getaway. By the way I was carrying a SW 357 model 19 and a 22 semi auto and chose the 357 had it come for me. Just the sound of it firing was reason I relied on the handgun as I would have never hit a fast moving target.

OK, maybe it was a dark brown panther. I will admit that the shade at the lake could have made it look darker. I'm just real happy it was not hungry that day as only 75 yards of earthen dam separated us. I was 15 at the time grew up hunting in North Ga so I know it was not a large bob cat, house cat, dog etc.

Back
Top Bottom