Black Talons Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
I have seen many guys on this very forum claim that, "With advances in modern defensive ammunition, there really isn't much of a difference between the most popular handgun calibers." I believe this statement to be true, and because of this I feel comfortable carrying a Glock 19 loaded up with 16 rounds of Federal HST every day.

However, I also see many of these same guys get all stupid excited over Black Talons. Black Talons were designed in 1991. It is kind of hard to make the claim about advances in modern defensive ammunition when your preferred defensive ammunition was designed while George Bush Sr. was the president.

Compared to modern defensive ammunition, black talons blow. Bonded hollow points stomp all over Black Talons in performance, and really besides nostalgia, there is really no reason for Black Talons to still be in existence. I certainly could not see paying more for them than say standard ball ammo.

Yeah, I know, they look cool in your magazine. At the end of the day though, if you are going to call on your firearm to protect your life or the lives of your loved ones, do you really want 24 year old ammo in your gun? I know a lot of guys who rotate out their carry ammo every six months.

I suppose if you want to own the "Forbidden Fruit" of the Black Talons just because you think they are cool and rare I can understand that. I can't understand someone crippling their defensive handguns performance with outdated technology.

If you are dead set on Black Talons for defensive purposes, I have to recommend the .45 ACP since Black Talons do not have any of the advances of modern defensive ammunition.

Flame on!

I agree, I never have understood it... yeah I used to carry black talons at one time... 20+ years ago! Since then there are some excellent, more modern, rounds. If you want to buy a piece of history for some crazy amount, go for it but don't trust your life to em!

I think the same thing every time I see someone gloating around all excited because they have magazines loaded up with black talons that they over paid for.

I like them because they are quiet through a suppressed weapon and the tests I ran exceeded my expectations. Don't like them? Don't buy them. No need to open a sack of French cries about it. I carry federal hst unsuppressed and talons when I'm running a can.

Who wants to be the first critic in line while someone plunks one in your chest from 15'? No doubt there are better choices but dead is dead, I don't doubt one would still kill ya DRT.

But I agree, bragging about carrying them is stoopid.

I like them because they are quiet through a suppressed weapon and the tests I ran exceeded my expectations. Don't like them? Don't buy them. No need to open a sack of French cries about it. I carry federal hst unsuppressed and talons when I'm running a can.

Are you saying that Black Talons produce a lower DB than any other modern ammunition? I have never heard that before, I find that interesting. Sure is some damn expensive ammo to be sending down range through the can while plinking.

Are you saying that Black Talons produce a lower DB than any other modern ammunition? I have never heard that before, I find that interesting. Sure is some damn expensive ammo to be sending down range through the can while plinking.

I don't use it while plinking. I use it when I carry my suppressed pistol to the office. I've tested a lot of subsonic hollow point ammo and the talons sound better to me. Like I said, don't like them? Don't buy them. Don't go jumping on folks just because they like them. You like midgets which I find discusting but if it floats your boat then knock yourself out. :)

So, one question. Where in the flying squirrel do you get Federal HST's. I've looked and can only find them online. Any local shops have these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom