• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Blacksmith with a Forge?

BamaBrad

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
I am looking for someone who has a forge. I have some CPM-M4 steel along with some DHP steel I would like a few 3-4” fixed blades made out of. I would like to trade some steel for some knives, if not how much for someone to make a couple knives with my steel? Thanks
2764db636272554fc9e0c80174d28f15.jpg

741f96db0feda9d31767fb296f7b68fb.jpg

Both are difficult to forge due to their very short window of malleability - one or two hits per heat and the special alloying makes them very stiff to move even at the correct heat. Get outside the heat window and you do unrecoverable damage to grain structure. Therefore not a go to steel for smiths.
Basically they would be a stock removal steel and would require specific and sophisticated thermal cycling capabilities, pretty much beyond the average bladesmith/knifemaker.
Most CPM steels will make excellent blades with the proper thermal cycling, but not sure about M4. Got no idea on the DHP. Knowing the alloy mix would be important and will affect any results.
Trading steel for a custom knife ..... well like trading used tires for a running car. You're going to have to add a lot of boot to make that work fairly.

Both are difficult to forge due to their very short window of malleability - one or two hits per heat and the special alloying makes them very stiff to move even at the correct heat. Get outside the heat window and you do unrecoverable damage to grain structure. Therefore not a go to steel for smiths.
Basically they would be a stock removal steel and would require specific and sophisticated thermal cycling capabilities, pretty much beyond the average bladesmith/knifemaker.
Most CPM steels will make excellent blades with the proper thermal cycling, but not sure about M4. Got no idea on the DHP. Knowing the alloy mix would be important and will affect any results.
Trading steel for a custom knife ..... well like trading used tires for a running car. You're going to have to add a lot of boot to make that work fairly.

I see your points and that makes sense. I didn’t know if adding another metal would help it out or not. I’m definitely not a blacksmith but curious if it was possible. Wouldn’t mind paying for it either I just thought I could offer some steel as well, as an option. I appreciate your advice.

Totally understand what you wanted, just those particular metals pose serious thermal cycling issues for most smiths. I hate to see wasted metal as much as anyone and I do use a lot of repurposed steels in my bladesmithing, but those two are beyond use for the average blade maker.

Back
Top Bottom