• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Blastin' an Paintin' - tips?

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
502   0
Reaction score
I have a set of fenders and a windshield frame for a Jeep CJ that I want to paint. They have some light surface rust in spots and of course the old paint. If I get these blasted down to bare metal, Can I prime them with rattle can primer to protect them from rust before I get around to painting in the spring or is that a no no? I am doing this in stages so prepping and painting the Jeep all at once is out of the question (budget). They will be stored in my basement and not outdoors.

IMG_20171026_232618.jpg
This, for you.:painkiller:

Etching primer is used on bare metal to give it some bite so it will stick. In my experience it is also porous and will rust from underneath if left exposed in the elements. Has happend to me in a matter of a couple months. If you are going to the expense, or are investing the time in blasting the panels, and it has to be left exposed for painting at a later date, I would go with epoxy primer. It’s more expensive but well worth the extra protection IMO.
If it’s light surface rust then you might also consider using Naval Jelly or Ospho or something similar instead of blasting. Blasting, if not done correctly can warp the panels. Sanding and using acid with a wire brush and steel wool can also remove all the rust and leave you with a shiny surface after several applications. You will have to go over it several times though and allow it to penetrate down into any pits, and then scrub carefully to be sure all the dark areas are removed. This method works well, especially when you don’t want to create the huge mess generated by blasting.

Epoxy primer is the only way to go if its going to be awhile before your panels will be painted. Spray bomb primer is porous and even if you store your pieces indoors it will absorb moisture from the air.

Back
Top Bottom