• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Blinking headlights!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice the term in that Georgia code "speed detection device" (i.e. radar, laser, Vascar). A patrol car's speedometer is not a speed detection device, so doesn't apply to that law. Officers can pace you and ticket you.

The 10 mile an hour "Benefit of doubt" is there, because Radars and Lasers are not 100% accurate.

Neither is a speedometer.

Once a cop uses their Speedo to pace you, it becomes a "speed detection device".

Last edited:
Key words being "likely & probably", If even only one person guilty of a violent crime or drunk/drugged driving is alerted to the LEO ahead it's one too many!!! Don't you get it?! How many other people will they victimize? Your logic makes NO sense at all!
As I said, MY OPINION, I'll continue to let people know when I see a speed trap whenever I see fit. Thank goodness I don't need your self righteous moral permission.

You would be surprised at how many people speed, I used to teach an adult sunday school class, and I taught on Gods law, and how the bible says we are to obey the laws we are under:
Romans 13
1LET EVERY person be loyally subject to the governing (civil) authorities. For there is no authority except from God [by His permission, His sanction], and those that exist do so by God's appointment.(A)
2Therefore he who resists and sets himself up against the authorities resists what God has appointed and arranged [in divine order]. And those who resist will bring down judgment upon themselves [receiving the penalty due them].

3For civil authorities are not a terror to [people of] good conduct, but to [those of] bad behavior. Would you have no dread of him who is in authority? Then do what is right and you will receive his approval and commendation.

4For he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, [you should dread him and] be afraid, for he does not bear and wear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant to execute His wrath (punishment, vengeance) on the wrongdoer.

And I had a lady tell me a few weeks later that she never saw that before, and she has stopped speeding.who knows maybe it saved a life.

Just a thought, but if we all just blindly obeyed the laws the "leaders" set forth we'd all still be subjects to the crown! I believe that pertains to righteous leadership.

OK
I'll make this short. Blinking the lights to warn other drivers could be obstruction. Not to mention flashing head lights us the universal signal for distress, and you may be pulled over to check your safety.
As for the speed detection devices, that applies to certain electronic devices, a patrol vehicle's speedometer is considered a mechanical device and can be used for lower speeds.
Also there is a code section for "too fast for conditions" that is where in the opinion of the officer you are traveling too fast for the current condition around you. IE heavy traffic, weather, road defects, ETC
These have been in place about as long as there have been speed laws and are nothing new. Georgia has the most restrictions on LEOs and speeding citations then any other state,

As I said, MY OPINION, I'll continue to let people know when I see a speed trap whenever I see fit. Thank goodness I don't need your self righteous moral permission.

Nothing self righteous about it Vman, blink all you want. Just voicing MY OPINION too. I changed my mind about speeding when I grabbed a two year old kid out of the way of a speeding car just before it came out of a blind curve down the street from my house years ago. If I had not seen this child in time he would have been killed. It was just pure luck I was in my driveway when I was to see him. I just wish people would take things like this into consideration when they are in a hurry. It's too sad when a child or anybody dies because somebody thinks the speed laws are too restrictive or just don't care.

Last edited:
So are you telling us that whitesburg , Luthersville and Plametto enforce the law as they see fit no matter what the Ga code says? And you wonder why people have hard feeling towards LOE and the court system. So in short get screwed by the LOE or screw the Leo!!!!!

Read post number 64 by Ken Ford.

Last edited:
Nothing self righteous about it Vman, blink all you want. Just voicing MY OPINION too. I changed my mind about speeding when I grabbed a two year old kid out of the way of a speeding car just before it came out of a blind curve down the street from my house years ago. If I had not seen this child in time he would have been killed. It was just pure luck I was in my driveway when I was to see him. I just wish people would take things like this into consideration when they are in a hurry. It's too sad when a child or anybody dies because somebody thinks the speed laws are too restrictive or just don't care.
That's fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I stated mine and made it clear it was MY opinion, I didn't need to be told how much it made no sense that's all. I generally don't go more than 5-7 over the limit if I do at all, 10 is usually max. I'm not saying everyone should be able to go as fast as they want, I just don't appreciate revenue chasers and generally that's all speed traps are. When I see Holly Springs sitting out on the freeway running radar they are only there for one reason-MONEY. The state patrol is there for highway enforcement, not little city cops.

Although I agree that to some extent speed traps are revenue builders, are they not also enforcing the laws and making sure people aren't driving recklessly? Just because there is one seemingly obvious motive behind a certain action doesn't mean there aren't other equally valid motivators as well that may be less obvious?

Although I agree that to some extent speed traps are revenue builders, are they not also enforcing the laws and making sure people aren't driving recklessly? Just because there is one seemingly obvious motive behind a certain action doesn't mean there aren't other equally valid motivators as well that may be less obvious?

I'm sure they are looking for other things. But like I said, Holly Springs (or any city/town cop) sitting on the freeway is pretty much there for one reason, anything else they catch is just a "bonus". There are plenty of scenarios for both arguements, and sometimes I let people know and on rare occasion I don't. If the freeways are relatively clear and I see someone in a sports car coming up the road that doesn't appear to be driving erratic, I'll let 'em know. Or truckers, since they get hassled WAY too much anyway etc. If I were to see some crotch rocket flying past everyone doing 90 or someone driving recklessly-weaving and speeding-I'll keep the info to myself. It's all relative to the situation, we can only do what we feel is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom