• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Blue material on ammo

I shot some corroded "Silver Bear" .223 today in an AR-15.
It wasn't rusted.. just corroded, with what looked like white powder.

Well, after about 15 rounds fired, one empty case got stuck in the chamber. No extraction, no ejection.
I'll get some penetrating oil on it tonight and try tapping it out with a cleaning rod.

Well, I ruined an aluminum cleaning rod
pounding on this empty corroded case.
Next, I'll try a SS rod, with a brass or bronze jag tip (filed flat) and a stack of nuts reinforcing the threading on the opposite section of the rod that I'll be tapping on with a hammer.

I would really like to find a solid steel bar stock rod 5 mm diameter and about 24 inches long, but such a piece of steel would have to be mail ordered I don't think I could find it locally.

Totally normal with a 10.3" AR suppressed. You've got a ton of blowback and the more & faster you shoot the dirtier it will get. I have a MK18 that does this with every mag when I shoot with a suppressor (Saker 5.56) that has high back pressure.

Point your muzzle at the ground and hammer the tip of your charging handle downwards on a wood table or wood fence post or wood anything and the stuck round will prolly pop rite out

Use 'Bar Keepers Friend' a thick liquid that is easy to use on brass case ammo.
all you need is a rag, elbow grease (finger) and a few minutes of your time.

I got that stuck empty case out with a modified stainless steel cleaning rod. Cut off on the back end (no orange plastic handle) and with a ground-down brass jag tip that had a totally flat end to maximize the contact area. Spraying WD-40 in the barrel and letting it soak for an hour, not just a few minutes, may have helped too. A few taps of a hammer on that cleaning rod and the steel case popped right out.

Then I cleaned the chamber with a bronze chamber brush spun in a cordless drill.

Back
Top Bottom