• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Body Armor or Not?

But do you really think that if the SWAT team rolls up you going to get a chance to put body armor on? And then even if you do are you also going to shoot back or what?
Where do you go to where you'll encounter ghetto gangsters with AKs? will you be already wearing your armor or are you going to have to go get it?

Well, like I said many times before in this thread, I say you should keep your body armor with your "go to" long gun. When you reach for the AR or AK rifle, or the Mossberg 500 or Remmy 870, or the Saiga 12, THAT IS WHEN you grab and PUT ON you body armor too.

You say that people don't wear body armor when they drive in the 'hood.
Right. But plenty of us keep a long gun in our vehicle, if we happen to be downtown just in case some cop shoots a homebody and all the Black Lives Matter people and their ANtifa/ Communist allies decide to start a riot and attack some white people to "get even."
If you'd pull over in a temporarily-safe spot and get that rifle out of storage and make it ready, I say get your body armor on, too. Drive home wearing it, with the rifle next to you.

YOU SAY people don't sleep in bed wearing body armor?

Right. People don't sleep hugging their AKMs either. (Well, some people here probably DO, but that's a different topic for a different day!). But you have an AK pattern rifle in the closet, or gun safe, in your bedroom, right?
If you heard glass breaking and strangers' voices at 2 a.m., and heavy feet thumping through your home, you'd get that long gun wouldn't you?
I say get the long gun AND the body armor. Not one. Both.

IF YOU SAY that's unrealistic and you will not have time to do anything other than grab the one gun that you carry with you daily and walk around the house with, then I say what the hell good is that collection of battle rifles and combat shotguns doing you? Why tie up all that money in several tactical long guns when you're claiming that you know, ahead of time, you won't be able to get to them fast enough to put them to use for your defense? Just keep your favorite handgun, keep it within arm's reach at all times, and go with that.

Well, like I said many times before in this thread, I say you should keep your body armor with your "go to" long gun. When you reach for the AR or AK rifle, or the Mossberg 500 or Remmy 870, or the Saiga 12, THAT IS WHEN you grab and PUT ON you body armor too.

You say that people don't wear body armor when they drive in the 'hood.
Right. But plenty of us keep a long gun in our vehicle, if we happen to be downtown just in case some cop shoots a homebody and all the Black Lives Matter people and their ANtifa/ Communist allies decide to start a riot and attack some white people to "get even."
If you'd pull over in a temporarily-safe spot and get that rifle out of storage and make it ready, I say get your body armor on, too. Drive home wearing it, with the rifle next to you.

YOU SAY people don't sleep in bed wearing body armor?

Right. People don't sleep hugging their AKMs either. (Well, some people here probably DO, but that's a different topic for a different day!). But you have an AK pattern rifle in the closet, or gun safe, in your bedroom, right?
If you heard glass breaking and strangers' voices at 2 a.m., and heavy feet thumping through your home, you'd get that long gun wouldn't you?
I say get the long gun AND the body armor. Not one. Both.

IF YOU SAY that's unrealistic and you will not have time to do anything other than grab the one gun that you carry with you daily and walk around the house with, then I say what the hell good is that collection of battle rifles and combat shotguns doing you? Why tie up all that money in several tactical long guns when you're claiming that you know, ahead of time, you won't be able to get to them fast enough to put them to use for your defense? Just keep your favorite handgun, keep it within arm's reach at all times, and go with that.
I agree. As soldiers you sleep on cots next to your rifle with your kit and Kevlar. When you hear the RPGs start screaming in over the hesco barriers it doesn’t matter if you’re in multicams, boots, pts, flip flops, no shoes etc but you will 9 times out of 10 grab your kit and simultaneously sling it over your shoulder while grabbing your weapon.
Not just for the armor principle, mostly because your kit also houses your ammunition, frags, water, med pouch, radio, strobe etc.
It’s your mobile Range bag

And though this particular photograph is a famous photo, this soldiers posture is FAR from uncommon in a bad area of operations.

9D48614A-714E-4F86-987F-B6C4D0D1F515.jpeg

Went out and trained today. Since it had been 4years since I had worn anything like this I put on my lv IIa, that I wore during my LEO career.
Part of it was the cold slowing my movements some, but my groups were not so good as usual, enough to be noticeable.
But I like to train in bad conditions so I would suggest training, incorporating lots of movement, in your armour every so often. My soft armour wasn’t so bad, but I would imagine that especiallyas we age the heavy stuff would quite noticeable, if you don’t keep familiarity with the rig.

Went out and trained today. Since it had been 4years since I had worn anything like this I put on my lv IIa, that I wore during my LEO career.
Part of it was the cold slowing my movements some, but my groups were not so good as usual, enough to be noticeable.
But I like to train in bad conditions so I would suggest training, incorporating lots of movement, in your armour every so often. My soft armour wasn’t so bad, but I would imagine that especiallyas we age the heavy stuff would quite noticeable, if you don’t keep familiarity with the rig.
Good on you! Glad you got some training in. Better than me today burning through a couple hundred in my buddies registered M/11 with a LAGE lol. Training? Nahhhhh bullet hosing :becky:

Well, some of the cheap Level III plates won’t always stop steel core (penetrator) 5.56mm.
If that’s a concern for you, you can simply buy Level 4 plates, rated to stop true armor-piercing rifle ammo.
http://www.bodyarmornews.com/level-iii-plate/
In a QCB situation true M193 will penetrate better that M855. Unless you are talking about new M855A1 which you have a better chance of winning the lottery than picking that up

Back
Top Bottom