• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Body Armor or Not?

So.... are the last dozen posts a reason why more people don’t own body armor: it is confusing to figure out what levels defeat what ammo, at what distances, fired from what length barrels?
And is there a widespread lack of faith in manufacurers’ and distributors’ claims about N.I.J. ratings?

So.... are the last dozen posts a reason why more people don’t own body armor: it is confusing to figure out what levels defeat what ammo, at what distances, fired from what length barrels?
And is there a widespread lack of faith in manufacurers’ and distributors’ claims about N.I.J. ratings?

Armor companies can be sketchy, but thankfully there are enough real reviews from somewhat trustworthy folks that prove some of the companies claims as truth and/or fiction. For a long time we hardly had any real information at all.

NIJ ratings are not official. I would not pay too much attention to some of the NIJ ratings claims. They can claim something without having it verified, and they do.

Purchasing armor should be a well researched endeavour. Even with the reviews out there the information for common folks is slim at best. Your questions are good ones, and the same questions any informed potential consumer will have when researching the topic. It isn't an impulse buy, but it isn't that difficult either, so check it out thoroughly and make a informed decision as to what will be best for you, and within your budget.

That pretty much sums up my situation perfectly.

I’ve had the plate carrier for over a year, but can’t decide what plates to get.

On top of that, I’m really not loving the Condor EXO plate carrier after wearing it a few times, so I may be back to researching plates AND carriers! LOL

B2BB2523-3D3A-4EC9-BFA7-9AE4C0D45D69.jpeg

Armor alters your tactics, too, right?

If you're wearing armor aren't you supposed to square off with the target so that you present the full face of the armor vs being un-armored you may take a side-ways angle when preparing to engage?

That pretty much sums up my situation perfectly.

I’ve had the plate carrier for over a year, but can’t decide what plates to get.

On top of that, I’m really not loving the Condor EXO plate carrier after wearing it a few times, so I may be back to researching plates AND carriers! LOL

View attachment 1450566

VooDoo tactical. Affordable, comfortable, well made and American made. I have Condor as well, and like mine, but I should have went with VooDoo tactical.

Armor alters your tactics, too, right?

If you're wearing armor aren't you supposed to square off with the target so that you present the full face of the armor vs being un-armored you may take a side-ways angle when preparing to engage?

Yes. I believe squaring off may be a better option even without armor. Side plates are always an option as well.

Squaring off offers a bigger target to your enemy, but side shots offer them vitals more willingly. Just like when deer hunting.

This is only my opinion, and some will disagree, and that's OK.

http://vraptorspeedworks.com/vraptor-armorworks-llc/

I like this stuff. Nothin fancy about it but it's made with real armor plate. Certified to 30-06 AP. It's also cheap and doesn't care about heat and doesn't mind being dropped. I would probably spring for cermamic but I have a habit of dropping things. 2 plates with spall coating is $174.00. No spall coating is only $89. One option is to toss one in a laptop pack. At least then you'll have front coverage. A cheap jpc for airsoft is about $50.00. I like the jpc because the straps for the other carriers are bulky and prevent stock placement. Not operator. Just better than nothing and costs almost nothing. You'll still have money for training also.

Level III is not rated to stop the 5.56. Not even the 193FMJ.
All level III composite armor is not created equal. There is Level III + armor out there that will stop mulit hits from 5.56 M855 and M193......but you are going to pay a premium for that kind of protection in a 5 to 6 lb plate.

The advantages of level III composite armor is weight reduction and mulit-hit rating, along with durability (depending on plate composition) against dropping banging against hard surfaces. The disadvantages are inability to stop 30 cal AP, sensitivity to heat/cold (Above 150, below -15 degrees) and prolonged UV.

The advantages of Level IV armor is single hit rating 30 cal AP protection (although I have seen a level IV plate take four 30-06 AP hits before it failed). The disadvantages are weight (though not quite as heavy as steel) and damage (micro fractures) from drops/banging against hard surfaces that can greatly reduce the effectiveness of the armor and as a result it should really have an annual x-ray to asses that.

The advantage of steel armor is reduced price....and just about nothing else.

Having worn worn both Level IV and Level III enhanced for extended periods of time, I would choose a bouncer with level IIIA soft armor and Level III enhanced plates any day and accept that if I get hit with a 30 cal AP round it's just my time. For me he reduced weight and increased maneuverability is worth the reduction in protection. In fact it's exactly what I have, Eagle Maritime CIRAS with Speer BALCS Cut Level IIIA soft armor and a MSA/Paraclete DHP3-1012 triple curve. Pricey rig for sure, not for everybody, but worth it to me. As always, YMMV.

VooDoo tactical. Affordable, comfortable, well made and American made. I have Condor as well, and like mine, but I should have went with VooDoo tactical.
I’ll check them out. The Condor seems well built enough, but I’m just not liking the cummerbund. It’s hot as hell in the summer and I’m never going to use side plates anyway, so I’d like the have a carrier that just buckles on the sides to allow more ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom