• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Body Armor or Not?

I don't think that all the various choices and specifications on body armor should be an obstacle that stops people from buying some.

That's stupid, if you let that happen. Or if you throw up all that information in the faces of newbies to discourage them from getting any armor. The same thing can happen with guns, too. Sometimes the worst thing a non-gun-owner who is interested in buying a defensive firearm can do is ask an expert. The expert will often blow the newbie's mind with an overload of information and send him or her away going, "Well, I thought I wanted a gun, but now I really don't know. Maybe it's not for me because guns are for gun experts, not for common people."

There are bad choices, reasonable choices, and ideal choices in body armor.
If people know enough not to make bad choices, I think they should not delay buying some. If they don't want to research the issue more than a few hours online and making a couple stops to places that sell body armor to see some in person and feel it, fine. Take your best guess about what you think will work for you and BUY IT.

The only terrible choices in body armor would be Level I or II vests (not IIA, which is a reasonable choice and stops most handgun rounds without too much "backface deformation").
Also, a person who doesn't know ANYTHING about body armor could make the mistake of buying a carrier only, with no ballistic panels in it, or even a padded vest made for paintball and airsoft games that LOOKS like a kevlar vest, but is really just made to take the sting out of getting shot with a plastic BB.

Saying that the XYZ vest, or ABC plate / carrier rig is a poor choice for home defense / SHTF situations is like saying that a Rossi .357 revolver is a poor choice, or a Stoeger side-by-side 12 gauge is a bad choice. They're NOT bad choices if the person DOESN'T OWN A GUN, and just wants something now, not six months from now after a lot of research and shopping and testing. Yeah, a 6- shot .357 made by a cheap manufacturer isn't as good as having an H&K USP, or a Kimber 1911. That "long gun" role is better filled by an M-4 clone or a Saiga-12 SBS with a 12" barrel, BUT... those aren't realistic options for many people. And often, you aren't going to be able to convince them otherwise without giving them information overload and turning them off to the whole idea.

I'm going to agree that a person shouldn't get analysis paralysis, especially if they dont have anything but at the same time when it comes to certain things, things that could be the matter of life or death I would definitely say do your homework, even more so if you are on a budget. There are nice budget friend options when it comes to guns and body armor. Don't have to make a poor decision because you are without. You know whats worst than not being protected is thinking you are protected when you really aren't.

AR500 has some budget friend kit. And instead of getting a full carrier, minimalist carriers are a good option if you dont want/need side protection or a lot of area for pouches.

I guess what it comes back to is whether, if you own 10 guns already, you still feel that your arsenal is lacking something, and you're in need of an 11th and 12th gun so that in combat you can bring your best game for sending rounds at the other guy...
... but you have nothing to deal with the bullets that HE may be sending YOUR way...

Instead of buying another gun, you should be looking at armor.

(I'm in the same situation myself. Although I do have soft armor, I don't have anything that stops rounds from all those AK's that urban ghetto gangsters be carrying. I don't have anything to stop the AR rounds that trigger-happy cops might throw at me if they get my address mixed-up with the address of a wanted felon when they roll the SWAT team out...)

The think is, body armor isn't interesting. It doesn't grab and hold my attention like a new gun does !!

I guess what it comes back to is whether, if you own 10 guns already, you still feel that your arsenal is lacking something, and you're in need of an 11th and 12th gun so that in combat you can bring your best game for sending rounds at the other guy...
... but you have nothing to deal with the bullets that HE may be sending YOUR way...

Instead of buying another gun, you should be looking at armor.

(I'm in the same situation myself. Although I do have soft armor, I don't have anything that stops rounds from all those AK's that urban ghetto gangsters be carrying. I don't have anything to stop the AR rounds that trigger-happy cops might throw at me if they get my address mixed-up with the address of a wanted felon when they roll the SWAT team out...)

The think is, body armor isn't interesting. It doesn't grab and hold my attention like a new gun does !!

In that case yes I agree.

But do you really think that if the SWAT team rolls up you going to get a chance to put body armor on? And then even if you do are you also going to shoot back or what?
Where do you go to where you'll encounter ghetto gangsters with AKs? will you be already wearing your armor or are you going to have to go get it?

Now a question....

What about plate cuts and sizes anyone have preferences and why ?

Shooters cut/Swimmers cut
8x10
10x12
11x14
side panels yes or no?
curved yea or nay?

Now a question....

What about plate cuts and sizes anyone have preferences and why ?

Shooters cut/Swimmers cut
8x10
10x12
11x14
side panels yes or no?
curved yea or nay?
The plate needs to cover your heart/lungs/liver. Everything else, size, cut, composition/weight are personal preference.

maxresdefault.jpg

100% agree. I keep my carrier at the ready close to my rifle. I actually have a "ready" bin too where I keep some other stuff that I may want to get to quickly....gas mask, extra ammo, med kit, water, ect...I use one of those tuff bins I picked up at Home Depot. In fact, I have two of these I made up. One for me and an extra for a friend/neighbor....someone that could jump in and help should the need arise.

@Warren Taninbaum is a body armor dealer, local guy and fellow ODT'er. I bought my AR500 III+ plates and carrier from him and he is a good guy to deal with. Fair prices too. I haven't seen him around here for a while, though...

Yes. I believe squaring off may be a better option even without armor. Side plates are always an option as well.

Squaring off offers a bigger target to your enemy, but side shots offer them vitals more willingly. Just like when deer hunting.

This is only my opinion, and some will disagree, and that's OK.
You should be putting cover (that stops vision & bullets) or at least concealment (which only prevents vision) between you and the threat in a gun fight. Expose as little of your body as possible to the threat, armor or not.

Back
Top Bottom