• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boiled Linseed Oil stock finish question

I've only done tool and axe handles plus one cedar walking stick, but I usually do a coat a day for a couple of weeks. The rule of thumb is once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year then once yearly. That's for tool handles, but should be close for a rifle stock. Make sure the stock is completely stripped of the previous finish or it won't take the oil properly. Hope this helped a little.
What he said ^^^^^

When I have used BLO get a few drops on your finger tips (use small amounts) rub vigorously until the friction caused some heat between fingers / hand and stock , do this over the entire stock.

Let its dry for an hour or so, wipe with paper towels or other lint free cloth.

Repeat in a day or two. Do not apply heavily it will not look good. may become tacky.

Post pics

Less is more but it's more than you think. Wait...it's late, but yes. I've done a few stocks in BLO. I agree with @jeep78 rule of thumb I was taught was once a day for a week once a week for a month once a month for a year. Sometimes my first week of daily application turns into two weeks depending on how dry the stock feels the next day. I'm on week 3 for my SBR 10/22. Was finished in that garbage fake Walnut stain. Just sanded it all off by hand, apply BLO. Grains are staring to pop better now. Think it's birch.

It was....
IMG_7699.JPG

And now is...
IMG_7959.JPG
IMG_7829.JPG

Back
Top Bottom