• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bolt action vs. semi auto ammo. What differentiates them?

Gucci Mane

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
hey gang,

Why is some ammo marked as being semi-auto optimized or bolt action only/optimized? I've really been itching to know what the defining feature(s) are that differentiate ammo that may be the same caliber and same grain (e.g. .22 LR 40 grain), but labeled for different action types.

I guess what I'm really asking is: are they different so far as dimensions, powder load, etc.? I'm assuming I could, for example, use "bolt action" labeled .22LR ammo in a Ruger 10-22, but the experience might not be as pleasant.

Thanks for your help guys! I'm eager to learn this stuff

hey gang,

Why is some ammo marked as being semi-auto optimized or bolt action only/optimized? I've really been itching to know what the defining feature(s) are that differentiate ammo that may be the same caliber and same grain (e.g. .22 LR 40 grain), but labeled for different action types.

I guess what I'm really asking is: are they different so far as dimensions, powder load, etc.? I'm assuming I could, for example, use "bolt action" labeled .22LR ammo in a Ruger 10-22, but the experience might not be as pleasant.

Thanks for your help guys! I'm eager to learn this stuff
Pressures when firing has a bearing on the gun to cycle properly. When reloading for a semi auto, too hot a load will possibly pull the rim off or not cycle the next round, that is why they make small base dies for semi auto's so they cycle easily.

Only time I've seen something like that is on .22 ammo like the CCI tactical. I think its supposed to be a little cleaner burning so it doesn't jam up the .22 semi auto action. You might also see it on subsonic .223 loads as "bolt action only" since most subsonic .223 doesn't have enough power to cycle the action.

At times, primers can be different as well. Rifles like the M1 Garand and M14/M1A have been known to fire when chambering commercial ammo with soft primers. Mil-spec ammo tends to be loded with very hard primers.

hey gang,

I'm assuming I could, for example, use "bolt action" labeled .22LR ammo in a Ruger 10-22, but the experience might not be as pleasant.

"Bolt Action" ammo will not reliably cycle a semi-auto. Mostly on sub-sonic or very light weight bullets. With a bolt action, all that matters is that it goes "bang" and the bullet come out the end of the barrel.

With some of the Acquila sub-sonic, it's recommended for pistols only because it's so slow it may not exit a rifle barrel, and you definitely don't want to create a barrel obstruction.

Back
Top Bottom