• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bolt Carrier Group NP3 or NiB?

This is my $.02 and should be taken as such. I am no trainer, have no combat experience, nor do I get to pump thousands of rounds down range every year. Just a few personal experiences as well as sharing feedback from others on here.

I want to upgrade my BCG on a Colt AR? What recommendations do you have that are improvements over the stock Colt BCG?

• Your stock AR15 profile Cot BCG will probably out last how long you have the rifle, unless you punp 15-20K+ rounds plus through it

I want something that resists carbon fouling more for high volume shooting. Also, although my gun is of course only semi-auto or there other advantages to the full auto BCG?

• In regards to you NP3 vs Nibx question, here is a great article showing the key differences between them. Basically, NibX has ridges to reduce the friction surface area, NP3 has teflon embedded in the finish to provide lubrication as it wears. https://robarguns.com/blog/2013/08/23/np3-vs-nickel-boron/ Fail Zero does claim that many other Nickel Boron coatings are inferior to their EXO one, but I am still mixed. I know quite a few members on here have had great luck with their Fail Zero BCG's

• My personal experience with Nickel Boron coated BCG's is that its not as easy to clean as you would think. Sure the outside of the carriers wipes off nicely, but the bolt itself is just as hard to clean IMHO (although others on here swear its easier). Again, take my opinion with a grain of sail. Just my $.02 and its not worth much.

• Some advantages to a M16 profile/weighted carrier. More bolt lockup time, more reciprocating mass to combat the typical over gassed nature of your Colt's carbine gas system (assuming its not a 20" rifle), ability to trip an auto sear if you ever want to throw your upper on an M16 lower.

Durability?

• If you go with a new BCG, you get what you pay for. If you find a $90-$100 Nickel Boron coated BCG, I can almost promise its not made of mil-spec materials or to those specifications. If you get a quality BCG, not sure you would ever see a big reliability difference between your stock BCG. That is unless you are taking rifle classes or dumping thousands of rounds through your rifle or it sees relatively harsh condition. Both NP3/Nickel Boron make claims to not need as much lubrication, if any at all, which I guess would be nice if you forgot your lube and still had a long day of shooting to go.

Finally is the a specific brand you recommend? Really hope to hear from guys with solid experience.

• Fail Zero for Nickel Boron (based solely off the numerous high round count members on here with them)
  • Sionics for NP3, (based off the level of detail and experience within the company making them).

Thanks - best answer will get $10 donated in their name to help Jeddak on the his gofundmepage.

Also, please find a few dollars and donate to the link found in my signature line- Thanks

Thanks... Winner for best answer

I use Nickle Boron from Steve at SR Armory. The are Fail Zero coated and I have had no problems with mine. I use them for lubricity properties only not for looks. I can take mine apart and clean them with a paper towel with no solvents. If they stain they stain. I haven't had problem with staining. Steve sells them for 148. He doesn't mark them up to infinity like some dealers do. I have three or four and all serve me well. I have them in guns that shoot well under 1 MOA so they don't effect accuracy. I recommend them to anyone at anytime. I had to pay out the A Hole for the 6.8 ones but the 5.56 ones are fairly priced. The 6.8 ones have a upgraded bolts so that's the reason for the price difference. It use to take me 10-15 minutes to clean a phosphate bolt. Now I clean them in less than five minutes. I just wipe it down with a clean paper towel and the fouling just wipes right away. No need for brushes or solvent. However I am with the staying with the colt BCG. You won't be upgrading you will just make it easier to clean. If you do replace it with a nickle boron just don't get rid of the colt parts what ever you do.

I have a cryptic coated bcg in the bronze. It not only looks bad ass it is extremely high quality and is very slippery without any lube on it. They're not cheap but the best of the best. Cleaning compared to my DD bcg among others is night and day.

Have you looked at the enhanced bolt carriers and bolts from POF? The bolt is chrome, the bolt carrier is NP3 I think, and it uses their roller pin. I have had several ar type rifles and the bolt in my POF is by far the easiest to clean and the slickest operating. These bolts run almost dry, only a very small amount of lube required and yet, they are "slick as snot on a brass door knob". I haven't ran a lot of rounds through this one yet but it clean nice and quick. With that said, the make two versions, one for DI and one for piston. Mine is a piston gun and as such, most of the fouling is at he gas block and not the chamber. Still, I have several friends running NP3 and nickel boron and their clean up just as easy even though they are DI guns. Just my two cents. Look up the POF youtube video "the Why" and he explains what goes in the bolts and the reason.

Back
Top Bottom