• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bolt Carrier Groups Discussion

titan2k10

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
33   0
Reaction score
I have been looking into getting a Nickel Boron BCG but seeing most, if not all, of the bolts included are made from 9310. I have seen in some forums/threads that this is less than desired. Is it truly a step down from "mil spec" or is it just a side step and perfectly acceptable as a construction material for an AR bolt?

Any discussion is appreciated!

I have never owned an nib bolt carrier group because I don't see any advantage over a good quality BCG from Bravo Company, LMT, or Daniel Defense.
I know guys like to say 'but they are so easy to clean' but how much time are they actually saving in the long run?

If you plan on running the gun suppressed most of the time, take look at Gemtech's suppressed bolt carrier. It's not nickel boron, but it does run cleaner than standard bolts do on a suppressed gun.

The difference between the two is one Mil Spec and the other isn't. There are far better materials that C158 but they are two expensive. 9310 is a easier metal to work with and uniformity is easier to achieve during the heating process. The strength of the two metals is somewhere in the 1% zone. Needless to say it won't be a problem under normal operating conditions.

Back
Top Bottom