Bolt on hitch recommendations

DanKATL

Default rank 5000+ posts
Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
73   0
Reaction score
Looking at adding a bolt on hitch receiver to a RAV4. Mostly for gear attachment, not expecting to tow much if ever. Toyota lists my model at 1,500 lbs max capacity, so class 1 or 2 would more than exceed what I'd ever be able to tow safely. I'm seeing Curt, Draw-Tite, and Reese, and U-Haul as options. Any others? Any good/bad experiences with any of the above?

Looking at adding a bolt on hitch receiver to a RAV4. Mostly for gear attachment, not expecting to tow much if ever. Toyota lists my model at 1,500 lbs max capacity, so class 1 or 2 would more than exceed what I'd ever be able to tow safely. I'm seeing Curt, Draw-Tite, and Reese, and U-Haul as options. Any others? Any good/bad experiences with any of the above?
I put a Curt receiver on my wife’s Highlander when she had it. Special cutout for the exhaust made it a specific fit purchase. Overall it was well built and installed very easy. holes lined up perfect. Mostly used it for trips to carry a rack on the back but did pull a trailer with our side by side with no issues.

I put a Curt receiver on my wife’s Highlander when she had it. Special cutout for the exhaust made it a specific fit purchase. Overall it was well built and installed very easy. holes lined up perfect. Mostly used it for trips to carry a rack on the back but did pull a trailer with our side by side with no issues.

Thank you, that's exactly the use I'm expecting and kind of info I'm looking for.

I put a hitch on my Honda Pilot. Honda very considerately has the mounting holes in the frame, don't know if that's the case for CR-v. Some of them, like Subaru, get really involved. Honda even has the wiring harness in place, very thoughtful of them.

Etrailer typically has a video for installing hitches of the difference brands. Truth is there is not a lot of difference in my opinion.

I ended up with a Curt because the receiver was shorter, and didn't come as far out under the bumper. If you are going to be swapping hitches much, I'd go with the longer receiver.

I bought used, and was pleasant surprised to find that the Pilot has 5.500 lb. towing capacity. I've never towed near that much, but it's nice to know in an emergency I would move my trailer.

One late thought, there is some difference in how the safety chains attach, and I went with Curt because it has the big loop. Too old to bend too far over.

ive done curt brand from etrailer.com on my past 2 vehicles. no problems, easy install with great instructions and videos online.

etrailer.com also has a great return process in case you are a dummy like me and order the wrong one for your truck.

I have several actual hitches with balls, if you are ever in Cumming area, you'd be welcome to pick thru them, just no receivers for Rav 4's.

I put a hitch on my Honda Pilot. Honda very considerately has the mounting holes in the frame, don't know if that's the case for CR-v. Some of them, like Subaru, get really involved. Honda even has the wiring harness in place, very thoughtful of them.

Etrailer typically has a video for installing hitches of the difference brands. Truth is there is not a lot of difference in my opinion.

I ended up with a Curt because the receiver was shorter, and didn't come as far out under the bumper. If you are going to be swapping hitches much, I'd go with the longer receiver.

I bought used, and was pleasant surprised to find that the Pilot has 5.500 lb. towing capacity. I've never towed near that much, but it's nice to know in an emergency I would move my trailer.

One late thought, there is some difference in how the safety chains attach, and I went with Curt because it has the big loop. Too old to bend too far over.

Having pulled a trailer many miles in the past, sticking out too far from the bumper is a thing. Racked many a knee when I wasn't paying attention. Not going to be towing much, so if it doesn't stick out as far that's better for me.

Back
Top Bottom