Books discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRH

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
God, family, guitars, and guns.
208   0
Reaction score
Maybe a good idea, maybe a dud, I don't know, but I would love to have a book discussion area for all types of books, new and old, from history, to finance, to aviation, to hunting and fishing, to health and fitness, to cooking, and everything else. Books must live on, and must be appreciated.

I believe we will always NEED physical and tangible books to continue, if we expect to have real knowledge. Cyber books should be welcome and I hope will be shared, but I like the idea of print because I am old school in that regard. See? There's our first discussion.

Anyway, just a thought. A blithering idiot such as I cannot be the only book worm around these here parts.

Used to be a serious reader but these days my eyes and brain gets tired easily. Currently working my way through The First World War by Sir Martin Gilbert.

Reactions: MRH
If you own a 1903 this is a must own book
20170522_012203.jpg

I'll bite. I'm a reader, always have been. Started out reading Hardy Boys mysteries and then every book Louis L'Amour ever wrote. Now, I'm mostly a fan of historical, military and western fiction and mystery novels.

Some of my favorite authors include W.E.B. Griffin, Steve Berry, C.J. Box, Dale Brown, Robert Crais, and Craig Johnson.

I love a good hardcover but now most of my new books are on my IPad...much more convenient and requires no headlamp at night while the wife is sleeping!

Oh, and if there are any collectible book lovers on here, I have a deal for you! A few years ago I acquired a 60+ volume library from the estate of an wAthens GA surgeon. He was an avid big game hunter and hunted all over the world.

Most of these books are signed, limited-edition (1 of 1000) leather bound classics in slip covers. Jack O'Conner, Jim Rikoff and other famous big game hunters during the glory days of African safaris make up a good part of the collection. Some of the books are on North American big and small game hunting...including sheep and bear hunting in Alaska.

Some of the books, especially the ones on the big five in Africa, have sold for $600 or more EACH.
I have received an offer to buy the entire collection. The buyer is a book dealer/writer and is basically offering me about 40% of retail. He would then mark them up and resell them.

So...if anybody wants some beautiful, collectible hunting and fishing books...I'll make you a great deal!

Good feedback so far.
I am a big Louis Lamour fan.
I read all kinds of stuff, but love to read history, westerns, hunting, etc.

Not a book worm, but still prefer something I can hold in my hand, flip from page to page and read even when the battery had died. The "electronic device" will never replace the printed word.

I agree. The printed word is a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom