• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Books discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to read alot before children. They have a book sensor built in. I can stare at the wall and they will go about their business as usual. Pick up a book and then the whole house goes nuts. I'm relegated to audiobooks while I work or drive. I like the old westerns and european war books on Librivox. The ones actually written in the 1800's. They really give you a perspective on how little actually changes in 150 years. You also get a real sense of where history is going or at least can go. The french revolution and before is particularly interesting. Also of interest and I believe importance is The Gulag Archipeligo. Understanding what happened before makes you really think about where we are and how quickly we can be in the same wicked situation if we don't unite to keep our rights and also what we can become if we do and follow the wrong leaders.

Right now I am reading "On Killing" by Lt Col Dave Grossman. Very well researched and thought out, so far. It is interesting, that's for sure.

Damn good read. I think anyone who decides to carry a firearm owes it to themselves to read On Killing (more so than On Combat). It would sober up a lot of tough guys strutting around with a clip full of hollow points in their unfired gun riding in their new crossbreeed.

Reactions: MRH
Damn good read. I think anyone who decides to carry a firearm owes it to themselves to read On Killing (more so than On Combat). It would sober up a lot of tough guys strutting around with a clip full of hollow points in their unfired gun riding in their new crossbreeed.

I am not quite halfway through it and must agree with this. It makes me think of plenty that I hadn't considered before. This book dives deep into the conscience and psyche of those who had to kill, unlike any research I've ever read before. It is well thought out and eye opening.

I believe the book is good for anyone who carries, and could be most helpful to veterans, Leo's, etc, who struggle with life after such traumatic events have happened to them.

Agree with your summary. Be forewarned, In the last chapter he gets a little philosophical about gun laws, toying with views most of us here would disagree with. But that slight point of contention is definitely not a reason to discount such a masterful piece of research. I later made it halfway through On Combat. That one is less academic rigor, more practical anecdotes and stories about SWAT team operators pooping their pants and whatnot.

Haven't been in the right frame of mind to read much lately since we closed our book store. Hard to compete with Amazon. Who knew. Glad to see such enthusiasm. It's a demanding business. In our short attempt we brought in some great authors like Haywood Gould, Craig Johnson (wrote Longmire) John Connolly, Jefferson Bass, Paul Barrett (Glock) Lt. Col Steve Russell (The Bn. C.O. that pulled Saddam Hussein out of the hole) Brad Taylor and Brad Thor to name a few.
Learned a lot about the industry but once we realized what we were up against, it was a matter of survival. Seemed like the harder we worked, the behinder we got. Support your local bookstore. They'll appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom