• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boot Repair-Possible or worth it?

Find someone to repair these, or just trash?

• Get repaired - keep as a spare

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Not worth repair - trash

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Not worth repair - keep as old worn spare

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

metalpeddler88

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
63   0
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on these boots, I apologize if I don't use the correct terminology, not a boot guy. :)

I've had these Red Wing brand boots for the last two years. They are work boots, and definitely seen their use, 4-5 days a week, 12-14 hours a day, dirt, mud, rain, etc... now they are pretty worn out. The sole worn down smooth, and starting to separate from the rest of the boot. One of the boot lace loop rivets are coming out of the leather. They are not longer waterproof. And the heel inside is worn bad, through the fabric, padding, and the plastic type material (to the point where it's stabbing my heel).

IMG_20200209_103749.jpg

IMG_20200209_103816.jpg

IMG_20200209_103915.jpg

IMG_20200209_103929.jpg

IMG_20200209_104012.jpg

Now, I work for a company who gives their employees free boot vouchers every two years, so this pair was free to me, and I have another free pair on the way already. So the old boots would either be a spare set, or trashed (which I feel bad about for $200 boots). It would be nice to have a spare pair of boots, in case the new ones get water logged or something.

My question for you, what is your opinion? Can these boots be repaired for a reasonable cost? Where around Barrow county would repair them? Or did I get my fair use out of them and I should not worry about repair? They are well past any warranty, so I'm sure Red Wing won't repair them.

Looking for opinions on these boots, I apologize if I don't use the correct terminology, not a boot guy. :)

I've had these Red Wing brand boots for the last two years. They are work boots, and definitely seen their use, 4-5 days a week, 12-14 hours a day, dirt, mud, rain, etc... now they are pretty worn out. The sole worn down smooth, and starting to separate from the rest of the boot. One of the boot lace loop rivets are coming out of the leather. They are not longer waterproof. And the heel inside is worn bad, through the fabric, padding, and the plastic type material (to the point where it's stabbing my heel).

View attachment 2483823

View attachment 2483824

View attachment 2483825

View attachment 2483826

View attachment 2483827

Now, I work for a company who gives their employees free boot vouchers every two years, so this pair was free to me, and I have another free pair on the way already. So the old boots would either be a spare set, or trashed (which I feel bad about for $200 boots). It would be nice to have a spare pair of boots, in case the new ones get water logged or something.

My question for you, what is your opinion? Can these boots be repaired for a reasonable cost? Where around Barrow county would repair them? Or did I get my fair use out of them and I should not worry about repair? They are well past any warranty, so I'm sure Red Wing won't repair them.

I checked into getting a pair of shoes repaired a couple years ago, it was just about as much as buying a new pair.

I have a pair of old boots I love. Not worn on the inside heel like yours though. Been toying with the idea of resoleing myself with 1/4inch leather, treating the leather and then applying layer of something like flex seal so I can use them as stalking boots for hunting. Basically turning them into supported moccasin stalking boots

I have done boot repair a few times, 1st time was in Guam with Jungle boots then some Danner boots, I did the Danners at Gwinnett Mall, but then I found out that you can buy the boots people got fixed but never picked up for a fraction of the cost.

Back
Top Bottom