• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boot Repair-Possible or worth it?

Find someone to repair these, or just trash?

• Get repaired - keep as a spare

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Not worth repair - trash

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Not worth repair - keep as old worn spare

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
I have to get mine repaired.....cause of the length of my.....well.. toes
2eb0c07a60ce55592816b3b63bb10d73[1].jpg

Looking for opinions on these boots, I apologize if I don't use the correct terminology, not a boot guy. :)

I've had these Red Wing brand boots for the last two years. They are work boots, and definitely seen their use, 4-5 days a week, 12-14 hours a day, dirt, mud, rain, etc... now they are pretty worn out. The sole worn down smooth, and starting to separate from the rest of the boot. One of the boot lace loop rivets are coming out of the leather. They are not longer waterproof. And the heel inside is worn bad, through the fabric, padding, and the plastic type material (to the point where it's stabbing my heel).

View attachment 2483823

View attachment 2483824

View attachment 2483825

View attachment 2483826

View attachment 2483827

Now, I work for a company who gives their employees free boot vouchers every two years, so this pair was free to me, and I have another free pair on the way already. So the old boots would either be a spare set, or trashed (which I feel bad about for $200 boots). It would be nice to have a spare pair of boots, in case the new ones get water logged or something.

My question for you, what is your opinion? Can these boots be repaired for a reasonable cost? Where around Barrow county would repair them? Or did I get my fair use out of them and I should not worry about repair? They are well past any warranty, so I'm sure Red Wing won't repair them.
Go see Scott at the shoe repair shop in Snellville.

If the footbeds are not in good shape Redwing won't repair them. To get them fully repaired you are probably going to spend at least 120.00, which isn't bad when you think its 60.00 per boot. I bought my Redwing Iron Rangers for the main reason they could be resoled when the time came to do it. I'm on year 3 with them being worn everyday and no where near time to get resoled. For a 200.00 pair of boots its a crap shoot. One good thing about getting them resoled is you'll be able to get a different sole, so maybe think about getting a full lug sole to help with the wear.

If they have a Goodyear welt (sewn) sole, you might be able to put a new sole on. I had a pair of old Florsheim dress shoes that had the leather soles replaced about 20 years ago. Still have them.

Gorilla Glue on the torn sole, Snow Seal on the leather upper and use them for muddy work or when you know you're going to get filthy. Buy new ones with your voucher. I wear my steel toed kilties almost daily for about two years then Snow Seal them and retire them to yard work/club work days. I always buy two-three pairs when I order them so I keep a four-five year supply on hand.

Back in the 70s-80s old guy that ran Alps Shoe Repair
was excellant for shoe repair. Then he sold it to retire
I presume. Knew the new owners from dealings when
they owned a gas station on Chase St. Tried them once
on shoe repair, took longer cost more not as good quality
as original owner. Now they're not even in Alps Shopping
Cnter, down on Baxter unless they've moved again.
Speaking of Boots, here's a true story (Scout's honor)
I still have and use a pair of work boots I purchased
back about 1978 iirc. Wore them walking around on
concrete 5 days/wk. Then in 1980s wore them working
race track safety at Road Atlanta. Nice Ga. red clay in
all types of weather. Still wore them at work as well.
Tried to keep them clean and polished to help preserve
the leather. Eventually had original Alps man replace
worn soles with Vibron which have treads about like truck
snow tires. When we have ice/snow conditions I don't go
out w/o my boots on. Worn in enough that liners are
falling apart. No brand names left. Main thing wrong with
them now is seems so dang heavy hard to stomp around
with these 65+ y/o legs. Believe these boots will outlast me.

Back
Top Bottom