• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bore sighting with a kit

HVACGuy

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
136   0
Reaction score
So a while back I picked up a BSA bore sight kit. I picked it up so I could save time and ammo roughly sighting my rifles in before going to the range. Then when I get there, I zero then in all the way. It has worked great on all of my set ups, except my current one. I have a Ruger American .308 that I put some Weaver scope rings and a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn 3-9x50 on. Even though my scope rides just above the barrel, I can't even come close to the horizon line. Any suggestions, or am I stuck doing it the old fashioned way at Charlie Elliot later this week?

I have the same issue with the laser bore on a few with 50mm scopes(almost touching barrel). I can barely see the dot in my scope at 6 O'clock.
My solution: I use the old graph style on those or pop the bolt out and line bore.

I have the same issue with the laser bore on a few with 50mm scopes(almost touching barrel). I can barely see the dot in my scope at 6 O'clock.
My solution: I use the old graph style on those or pop the bolt out and line bore.
Going to just give it a go at Charlie Elliot tomorrow. Bringing extra ammo. I believe it's the 50, all my other scopes are 40, and zero issues using the tool. Guess we'll see if I'm wrong :)

It's helped save me time and ammo, and the kit was $30. I figured why not? Then I can sight in at home. It's been surprisingly accurate, with a little adjustment needed at 80-100 yards. I do understand though, lots of my buddies prefer doing it with a bench rest and a spotter. I guess it does take away from the experience a little though.

Back
Top Bottom