• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boresight Question Research, Help participate!!!!

Is boresight important?

• Yes

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters

Redleg

Default rank <500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Survivalist
153   0
Reaction score
I am creating an app that will use a smartphone to determine boresight. It will work on a scoped rifle, tactical optics and hunting/sniping scopes. It allows the user to do three things, bore scope in reference to the rifle chamber and store chamber location, record the sight setting after the rifle is zeroed and recall the sight setting and verify the setting using the rifle chamber. This means that you can check the zero any time you want or suspect that the sight setting has been disturbed.

Please participate in the survey. If there are other questions for a survey or about what I am doing please ask away. Thanks

Redleg

It'll be interesting to see what order of precision is achieved.
The package will consist of an eyepiece mount for the scope and a chamber insert that goes into the rifle. The solution is determined by mathematical means. It relies on distance and direction to locate points kinda like surveying. Using distance and angles from the eyepiece of the scope the app will determine the line of sight through the scope and then locate the chamber insert.

The chamber insert location will be used for determining the height between the chamber and the scope. The app will ask the user what distance to boresight, let say 25 yards, the app will then display a dot that represents the intersect of the line of sight and the line of the bore as they intersect at 25 yards. Move your crosshairs to the dot and you are boresighted.

Once you are boresighted. You put the scope eyepiece adapter and the chamber insert away and go zero the rifle. Being that you boresighted by mathematical means with a precise scope height measurement the effect on target will be from the characteristics of the weapon, the bullet, (muzzle velocity) and round in flight. Whatever the deviation is you will move your crosshairs until you are zeroed. Take out the RecordFire package and at this point, you follow the same procedures as before except this time you tell the app you want to record zero, it will ask you to move the crosshairs on the app to the zeroed aimpoint on the scope. When you do this the app will know exactly how far the deviation is from the boresight intersect and record the deviation.

Your avatar says Field Artillery but I'm thinking you're an engineer... What is the benefit of such an app over a laser boresighter I stick on the end of the muzzle with a magnet? Just curious because that works great and is super easy.

I think the aim is to be able to recheck zero without firing ? It sounds a bit like overkill to replace bore sighting, if it works.

2-3 shots at 20 yards will get you close enough to move out to 100 to sight.

I don't think this will work to the level of accuracy you are trying for. When you can shoot different ammo in a rifle and each sample of ammo gives you a different POI without ever touching the sights, how can this device do anything other than give a rough preliminary zero?

You will still need to actually shoot the rifle to refine the zero or confirm it on a previously zeroed rifle.

Back
Top Bottom