• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

boresnakes?

thebeast138

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
38   0
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Got these for several calibers and they just don't seem worth a damn compared to the ol patch/brush/patch method like grandpa & scouts taught me....

Ok! Good, so how many passes do you tend to make? Any particular solvent that works best with em? Pardon my ignorance, the instructions are a bit vague on the finer points....

I just use Hoppes, I soak the part of the snake right before the brushes and the brushes themselves. Usually only make two passes, unless I shot a lot of dirty ammo that day.

I prefer them for shotguns over rifled barrels. I do use a .40 cal snake to clean the cylinders on my .38/.357 revolvers, and it seems to do a decent job.

Wheeler

Look at the Otis system. It works with standard CLEAN patches and brushes. Like the boresnake, it's a pull through system. Their deluxe kits can be expensive, and come with a lot of extras most of us already have, but you can buy individual cleaner kits for about $10.00. I have one for the pistol/revolver, and one made especially for rimfires. The Otis is far superior to the bs for my applications. I use standard cut to fit patches, and the brush of your choice, which happens to be nylon for me.

Look at the Otis system. It works with standard CLEAN patches and brushes. Like the boresnake, it's a pull through system. Their deluxe kits can be expensive, and come with a lot of extras most of us already have, but you can buy individual cleaner kits for about $10.00. I have one for the pistol/revolver, and one made especially for rimfires. The Otis is far superior to the bs for my applications. I use standard cut to fit patches, and the brush of your choice, which happens to be nylon for me.

2X's this. With the standard patches you are not pulling the crap from your last cleaning into the bore every time you try to clean. If you use a bore snake you should be sure to clean the snake after you clean the firearm.
The Bore Snake has it's place, but it is not in any of my nice target guns

Agree, boresnakes with a little Ed's red are good for a quick cleaning out in the field or at the range until you can get back. Run a few patches down the barrel after the boresnake does its thing and you'll see just what it leaves behind. And yes boresnakes so need to be cleaned after use.

Funny thing my granddaddy always put a fishing weight on a piece of nylon cord and a piece of T shirt or other cotton cloth tied on the other end. This is how we patched after brushing rifles and handguns. The pull through rig and a little Hoppes was the only thing he felt was necessary for shotguns. I always kept a boresnake in my rifle case until I wound up on a hunt in Alabama with a bullet that was handloaded long stuck in the lands. My boresnake was useless in this situation and now a Tipton rod can be found in my gun case whenever I take a rifle anywhere. I love their convieniance but they cant take the place of a good cleaning rod.
TIP: Washing em with a little detergent and water cleans a bore snake up good as new.
BHJ

Back
Top Bottom