• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bought $599 Field n Stream Pro Series 32 Gun Safe at Dicks, Good?

RugerRob

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
Bought one of these at Dicks Sporting Goods, Black Friday Deal $599. Reviews I have read seem to be good and in that price range for it's size I haven't seen anything else even close. The only down side is no electronic keypad but for me that was a non issue. I would have preferred a more expensive one that could handle 1 hour of fire protection but my pockets/budget are not that deep.

Anyone have one of these or have seen anything better for it's size and price range? Paid for it yesterday and am picking it up this afternoon with a little help from a friend. Still not too late to change my mind, any opinions or anyone own one of these?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21661626

FEATURES:

Gun safe with combination lock
Capacity to store 32 long guns and 6 handguns
Eight total locking bolts including five live action and three dead bolts
ETL verified, fire resistant up to 1400 degrees Fahrenheit for up to 30 minutes
Integral interior door organizer with multiple storage pockets
External Dimensions: 59"H x 29.25"W x 25.5"D
Weight: 493 lbs
HEH00355
Field & Stream

Safes at that price range are only light protection from a real safe thief. They do a better job at protecting against fire, kids, and the average smash and grab thief. I'm not a fan of the electronic lock, too many things and go wrong and all your guns are locked up in there, unless there is a secondary way in. When I was researching safes, I came to the conclusion that unless your spending at least $1000+ your only getting light protection from a real break in on the safe.

Then again, something is better than nothing.

Safes at that price range are only light protection from a real safe thief. They do a better job at protecting against fire, kids, and the average smash and grab thief. I'm not a fan of the electronic lock, too many things and go wrong and all your guns are locked up in there, unless there is a secondary way in. When I was researching safes, I came to the conclusion that unless your spending at least $1000+ your only getting light protection from a real break in on the safe.

Then again, something is better than nothing.

What sinac said... Ordinary power tools can probably breach it in less than a minute. (They'll cut open the top or sides-- much easier than the door.)

Here's a link to one thread; there are tons more on safes at AR15.com. Beware though-- you'll go down the paranoia hole and start looking at much more expensive safes.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_46/412180_went_to_go_buy_the__400_field_and_stream_safe____.html

The best deal is a used, actual commercial safe.

I agree with the protection level being light to med, my main concern is the avg home thief, i seriously doubt any pros would bother, secondary measures home alarm, dog, beware of dog signs should help further from being targeted i would hope they would move on to a house that looks easier.

It's all about your use case. I bought a larger model of the same series last year at Dick's on Black Friday. I've loved it - better than everything in a closet or under the bed. It was hard enough carrying this beast in. For me, I didn't want anything heavier duty. I live in a middle class older neighborhood. If I get broken into it's going to amateurs and either the alarm, the dog, or the nosy neighbors I have should bring reinforcements within an hour. It's a cost vs risk mitigation equation.
People like to complain about the electronic lock, but let me tell you mine has been rock solid the last year. If it quits working - I've got the key so what does it matter? Don't lose your key and you are fine. Mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited:
You get what you pay for. There are tons of videos on import safes and issues with them. Having said that compared to no safe this safe is a giant step up. I can't find the stats on the safe but I am guessing that there is not that much steel in the sides or door (don't get fooled by thickness of the door as that has little to do with how much steel is in it. Weight gives you an idea of how much steel and to compare this safe which is 59" x 29.25" x 25.5" and weighs 493 lbs to my Champion Crown series safe which is 66.25" x 32" x 24" just a little bigger) but weighs in at 1078 lbs! The 585 lbs difference is steel and steel is protection. Now here is the big butt the Champion cost $2000 more... and if you went with a Ft Knox with those kind of stats you would be looking at $500 more on top of that. Again, over not having a safe you have made a big step up. Make sure you bolt that thing down because at under 1000 lbs two thief could come in and carry it off and break into it at their leisure.

Yep will bolt it down make it not as easy to run off with... i think it will suit my purpose and budget fine. If i hit the lotto or decide to uo grade im sure i could mark it off a hundred or two and sell it.

I really would
check and see if you could get it with a mechanical lock. ****ing electronic keypads are nothing but trouble!

Back
Top Bottom