• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bought $599 Field n Stream Pro Series 32 Gun Safe at Dicks, Good?

The cheap electronic locks on cheaper import safes are crap and full of trouble. The higher end safes and electronic locks are very reliable. LaGard are under $200 and I think they are very good, better than S&G's which are also expensive but there are more reported problems. I spoke with 3 locksmiths who have serviced thousands of safes and each said that they have never had a problem with a LaGard, other than changing the battery.

You get a thumbs up for securing your firearms. I'm sure you will eventually out grow it,but it has good reviews from what I've seen.

Congrats on your safe.
If someone wants it bad enough they'll get it. I saw a news piece once where the crooks took a chain or cable and jerked a safe out of a house. Ripped it off the floor through the wall and down the road it went. We can only detour them and keep the honest people honest.

I have been watching more video's. From what I have seen tipping over the safe and using pry bars is the 1st method and 2nd method of breaking in is to cut into the side or go for the hinges. Makes me wish I could afford or justify a 1500 and up Fort Knox or other high end safe. Since that's not an option right now I have decided the 2nd best option for the safe I have is to hide it, I'll be putting it in closet to limit the space available for tools to get to the sides of the safe, bolt it to the floor and wall, then build a false wall in front of it and hide it behind clothes or something. Another option is to put a reinforced door on whatever closet or space I do put it in to start with. Also wondering if I can connect some type of separate alarm with loud siren sort of like a car alarm type deal, movement sensitive, that would be cool too, or some sensor on the closet door and wire it up to an loud alarm... (I'll look into those options as well).

Just some thoughts for additional security. Interestingly enough I was at some friends for Thanksgiving, he has an older 1000+lb commercial safe (not really a gun safe but would work) that has 1" thick solid steel sides, and a massive door. His house was broke into and while they tried they were unable to pry it open due to the space constraints where the safe was located, and they tried to knock the pins/hinges but didn't get that either due to space constraints not allowing a full swing of the hammer on the hinges. You can see the marks where they tried to get in it unsuccessfully and abandoned the attempt, while the paint is chipped the safe is undamaged and did it's job.

In my case since the safe I have is mid grade so I'll definitely be using some additional measures.

Rob

48 gun would be BIG probably overkill and 100 more...

No such thing as overkill on safe size so long as you have physical space. Everyone fills them up at some point. In reality, you only ever fit about 2/3 of the number of guns they advertise. Plus, $100 for 16 more guns (or 10 in the real world) is a deal. Dunno where you can find a $100 16 gun safe.

That said, whatever you buy I think you are right on with limiting access. Much harder to break into even the cheapest safes if they can't tip them over or get to the sides.

Back
Top Bottom