• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bout Time NASA!!!!

To test the technology to sustain a long term mission. We need to develop new processes to find resources in a inhospitbale world where hydrogen and oxygen arent readily available. It is also easier to leave moon orbit than earth orbit, so it has been discussed as using the moon as a jumping off point for the longer range missions like mars because you would need less propellant. Either way, it is all about testing technology.

Fun fact, a moon habitat would be great for those with mobility issues, and if you had a big enough open space, you could wear a wingsuit and flap your arms like a bird to fly. Sign me up either way, and im going to finally get that full auto laser blaster ive had my eyes on...

I appreciate that perspective, thanks!

Another serious question: Why do we need a sustained mission? I’m having a difficult time embracing the ROI of such things

Me either, I remember vividly watching the moon landing. The whole world was fascinated by America's achievement. I personally believe that was the apex of the America age and the we have been on a downhill slide every since.
That must have been pretty amazing seeing it as it happened.

Just because....

They ain’t landed on no moon. They landed in that saharri desert. Anybody ever land on that moon eva thangll jus blow up. Famous quote from Pat the scrap iron man who couldn’t read or write.Decatur county ga

Another serious question: Why do we need a sustained mission? I’m having a difficult time embracing the ROI of such things
Prove the technology for bases off the earth. Same reason we have space stations, test things out, see what happens, refine the processes etc. just trying to judge the longterm health of humans on other worlds with less gravity and more radiation is one reason, space procreation is another question as well (how well do fetuses do in zero or low g environments). Not to mention i would like to think that if the worst were to happen here on earth (zombieism, plague, nuke war, etc), that if there was a station somewhere that could ride out the storms, we may actually survive the next 1000 years. Its a daunting task to create anything for the long term in space, most satellites stop functioning after a few years. Try keeping life support, energy usage, and boredom at bay for the next 50.

R.O.I.?
Spinoffs.
See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spinoff_technologies for just a few.

The moon?
As stated above, prep for farther missions.
Plus, if something happens on the moon (while we're learning), there's a chance to get there or get back. If something happens on mars, it's a year+ just to get back.

R.O.I.?
Spinoffs.
See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spinoff_technologies for just a few.

The moon?
As stated above, prep for farther missions.
Plus, if something happens on the moon (while we're learning), there's a chance to get there or get back. If something happens on mars, it's a year+ just to get back.

I appreciate the info and the link. There are multiple benefits mentioned in the wiki article that i hadn't considered. It's impossible to know what did not get funded in order to pay for the space program though....

Back
Top Bottom