• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bow Advice

You DO NOT need anything near 70# pull to hunt big deer. If anyone tells you that, they are trying to invoke their ego on you. Don't fall for it.

60# max pull with 80% let-off will be perfect for your situation. You can even go down to 50# (depending on what's legal where you hunt) and still be successful since most shots won't be longer than 25-30 yards. All of my big deer have been taken with no more than 60# pull bow and a hard hitting arrow set-up. I shoot a Bowtech Invasion and well, let's just say I've been somewhat successful over the years as you can see in the picture.

No. I have a BowTech. The full carbon bows will be the lightest to hold. There are others besides the PSE. The Hoyt G3 Carbon Element only weighs 3.6 # and looks like it would be a consideration.

You DO NOT need anything near 70# pull to hunt big deer. If anyone tells you that, they are trying to invoke their ego on you. Don't fall for it.

60# max pull with 80% let-off will be perfect for your situation. You can even go down to 50# (depending on what's legal where you hunt) and still be successful since most shots won't be longer than 25-30 yards. All of my big deer have been taken with no more than 60# pull bow and a hard hitting arrow set-up. I shoot a Bowtech Invasion and well, let's just say I've been somewhat successful over the years as you can see in the picture.

I need to be able to hit 45-50 yards if possible?

Yes, some of the more expensive bows are lighter, some of the the more expensive bow are smother but for the money the Infinite Edge is my choice.

I need to be able to hit 45-50 yards if possible?
Hitting a target at 45-50-75-100 yards is responsible preparation for humane hunting. Taking shots at animals at that 50 yard range is border line irresponsible in my opinion. But I stress, in MY opinion. To each their own, but I hunt only by the grace of God and His majestic creatures, not just to brag or hang another trophy on the wall. I have let many 170+ deer walk on by because the shot was not what I believed to be the best for a humane kill. I believe there will always be another deer and another shot... always.

Please don't take this as a "shot" at you for anything. I am just explaining my own boundaries and beliefs when it comes to hunting big deer.

Hitting a target at 45-50-75-100 yards is responsible preparation for humane hunting. Taking shots at animals at that 50 yard range is border line irresponsible in my opinion. But I stress, in MY opinion. To each their own, but I hunt only by the grace of God and His majestic creatures, not just to brag or hang another trophy on the wall. I have let many 170+ deer walk on by because the shot was not what I believed to be the best for a humane kill. I believe there will always be another deer and another shot... always.

Please don't take this as a "shot" at you for anything. I am just explaining my own boundaries and beliefs when it comes to hunting big deer.

I don't. 50yrds is possible if one has the right equipment and has put in the rang time. I'm not planning on shooting that far but want the option. If I see a 170 class deer I can't even think about taking him as the owner has a 190 or better rule.

I don't. 50yrds is possible if one has the right equipment and has put in the rang time. I'm not planning on shooting that far but want the option. If I see a 170 class deer I can't even think about taking him as the owner has a 190 or better rule.

WOW is the property high fence? 190" is a freak. Good luck on your hunt.

Back
Top Bottom