• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boyd's stock help

pipewrench

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Ice cream assassin
145   0
Reaction score
I picked up a savage axis and ordered a Boyd's pro varmint stock.

It appears they didn't drill out one of the screws. Is this normal?

Didn't know if that was a standard thing the end-user needed to do.

Plus, it doesn't fit. From what I read some "fitting" would be required but it's not close enough for me to even tell what's hitting.
This is my first stock replacement by the way so some could be user error.

Attachments

• IMG_2861.JPG
    IMG_2861.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 40
I just noticed the factory stock has a notch where the trigger assembly goes and the Boyd's doesn't. That may be my problem on fitting.

Attachments

• IMG_2862.JPG
    IMG_2862.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 41
I've got a Boyd's prairie hunter stock on my Savage 116, when I received it, the front mount didn't seam to be drilled out.
turned it over and, it is drilled, but not all the way, just a tiny bit left. Took a dowel and pushed the remaining piece out.
Then the magazine didn't want to release, moved the rear mag retainer back a 1/4 inch, dropped right in.

Turns out mine was the same. I got a drill bit to drill it out...barely any effort and I made it through.

I finally got the action to sit down just sanding everywhere I could.

I'm thinking of doing some pillars

Turns out mine was the same. I got a drill bit to drill it out...barely any effort and I made it through.

I finally got the action to sit down just sanding everywhere I could.

I'm thinking of doing some pillars

The overly tight fit is likely due to the coating. All the stocks are machined the same, the bare wood fits, the coated wood is tight.

Most custom stocks are semi inletted aka 90%. The easiest way is to take a candle, light it and let it burn, then snuff it out. Allow the smoke from the candle to "smoke" the metal of the gun. Then place it into the stock and see where the soot transfers onto the stock. These are your high points in the stock, and will need to be filed down. Repeat the process until you get a proper fit. The hole is also drilled after the stock is fitted.

I have bought several Boyd's stocks. All excellent fit, but did need to be relieved in usual areas for the model rifle.

Lots of online complaints, but they seem to come from folks expecting drop in OEM fit to the stock.

Back
Top Bottom