• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brand Names

Ronaldo Crespin

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
34   0
Reaction score
I would like to see a rule that states: If you advertise a rifle, as a specific brand name, then it should be 100%. It doesn't seem right to say that I have a BCM AR15 for sale and then the only part on it that is BCM is the lower receiver. When I click on an ad that says "Daniel Defense AR15" I expect for it to be 100% Daniel Defense, from the factory.

JM2c.

I would like to see a rule that states: If you advertise a rifle, as a specific brand name, then it should be 100%. It doesn't seem right to say that I have a BCM AR15 for sale and then the only part on it that is BCM is the lower receiver. When I click on an ad that says "Daniel Defense AR15" I expect for it to be 100% Daniel Defense, from the factory.

JM2c.

While I don't entirely disagree with you in theory, in practice it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to enforce. In your BCM example above for example, calling it a BCM AR would be technically correct, as the serialed receiver is the component that's legally the firearm. Taking it further and using your Daniel Defense example, if you took a factory DD rifle and swapped out say the rail system, would you not expect that to be advertised as a DD rifle?

We don't allow blatant misrepresentation of an item being sold, and if you see something where you think that's the case then by all means use the report function and we'll take a look.

Since we can't have public call outs we should have a "Pit of Misery" for all of the "Custom" AR builds and other ridiculous stuff to be moved to. Have it next to the "Good Deal" button, if 50 members click on it the decision is made.

or if you list a "Noveske" and the only Noveske part is the Pig flash hider...

That example is definitely more along the lines of blatant misrepresentation.

Since we can't have public call outs we should have a "Pit of Misery" for all of the "Custom" AR builds and other ridiculous stuff to be moved to. Have it next to the "Good Deal" button, if 50 members click on it the decision is made.

Negative.

I 100% agree with this. It's totally absurd to see this silliness .... and to the point a little below ... no, changing out a rail or adding a rail in place of a plastic hand guard doesn't change the meat of the rifle, it's an enhancement, as it was sold for a hundred years before the quad railed hand guards on AR's were common place .... The AR would still be functional without a hand guard. ;)

If you advertise a novel

JM2c.

The only real and obvious problem with a rule like this is that there are people that don't know much about AR's get them in trade and actually think that they have a BCM or a Noveske because that's what the receiver says. Perhaps it's best to help educate people like this via PM rather than even suggesting "calling them out" but also, this could be easily remedied by having a tick box like we have already that says "factory rifle" or "build" so that it's clearly marked.

Okay, here is question based upon all of this:

Suppose I buy a rifle with a Spike's upper and lower with Spike rail and pistol grip. The internals are LMT, a Faxon barrel, a WMD bolt and quite possibly none of that is marked. Did I buy a Spike rifle?

This is part of the issue with the AR family of rifles. People buy an original and then upgrade parts. At what point is it no longer an original? AND, if you buy a rifle without knowing someone upgraded parts, HOW would you know if it was never disclosed to you in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom