• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brand new reloader... help!

Unless you are wanting to tailor a cartridge to a rifle you own, don't waste your time or money. You can get very decent mil-spec ammo for 50 to 60 cents/round. Save the brass and reload when you need to.

If you want to do it for personal enjoyment, it's "katy bar the door". RCBS has a good starter kit with a decent manual. Read it about 3x before you get started. Runs about $350 I think.

A good ,current reloading manual from a popular brand of bullet maker .ie. Speer ,Hornady,Sierra etc.

This is the first thing BUT I would recommend a Lyman manual because it won't pimp a certain brand of bullet or powder.

A good manual will tell you everything you need. Show you pictures, explain what each does.

Truthfully, all you need is a Lee Hand Press, and a Lee Powder measure kit (dippers) and you can be reloading for less than $60.00, plus bullets and powder.

Then get a mentor, some one who you KNOW can reload SAFELY. Let him walk you through it a few times.

What you don't need, is any advice you get at a gun store. Holy Bat Droppings, I've heard more wrong/dangerous advice given out at gun stores than exists on the internet.

I would suggest a quality case gauge for every caliber. when your done reloading you can check your rounds, nothing like loading several hundred and finding they won't chamber. check the first say 25 and make sure they are going to chamber ok then every so often run a random check to see if anything has moved or loosened.

Back
Top Bottom