• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brass question?

1911guy

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
21   0
Reaction score
Being fairly new to reloading, I have a question about brass life. My Lyman manual says about 8 shots is the life expectancy from a piece of brass( 1- factory shot and 7- reloads) and you should be diligent about keeping up with these totals and segregate your brass accordingly.

So my question to you guys, that have been doing this alot longer than me, do you keep a really close tab on round count, or pay more attention to brass condition?.

I have some brass that has been reloaded 4 times and really isn't showing any signs of deterioration, and hasn't had to be trimmed yet. It looks to me like this brass should go more than 3 more reloads. I am presently only loading .45 acp with mild to moderate charges, if that makes a difference.

Please let me know what you guys do!

A friend told me once to load 45ACP as many times as it takes to split the case, then load it once more. I generally load it over and over until I loose it. This is for the low pressure 45ACP only.

I generally reload 9mm and forty about ten times or until I loose it as well.

In 12 years of reloading pretty much any caliber that I shoot, I have had 0NE case in 9 and SEVERAL in 40 fail when fired. The 9 blew out the extractor groove in the case. The 40's usually split.

I never trim for straight walled cases either.

Bottleneck rifle cases will give trouble long before most any straight wall case will. I strongly suggest keeping records on your high pressure rifle loads. I don't usually push rifle brass past 6 or 7 loadings. I may go a little farther with my .223 that I neck size only. It doesn't work the brass very hard. I also recommend staying away from nickeled cases, as they tend to be much less maluable and crack much sooner than regular brass. I have some 45 ACP brass that's been loaded at least a dozen times without issue. I usually start loading my high mileage brass for occassions when I shoot at places that retrieval may be an issue.

different brass (brands and calibers) are better than others. also depends a lot upon how hot you load. I know a few calibers I shoot the brass is fairly fragile (218 bee and to a lesser extent 22 hornet) but most can go a lot of reloads. well into where I feel I have gotten my money out of them.. :)

different brass (brands and calibers) are better than others. also depends a lot upon how hot you load. I know a few calibers I shoot the brass is fairly fragile (218 bee and to a lesser extent 22 hornet) but most can go a lot of reloads. well into where I feel I have gotten my money out of them.. :)

Been loading my stuff fairly mild and using all winchester brass. Seems to be holding up great. The only piece I've thrown out, was a piece that while de-priming, part of the primer port around the hole, punched out with old primer. Don't know why, hasn't happened before or since.

Back
Top Bottom