• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brass questions

GaCracker63

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
26   1
Reaction score
I'm going to the range this weekend and there is always a ton of brass left laying on ground, how do I tell weather or not it is reloadable? I will be looking for 223, 45acp, 308, 44 and maybe 30.06. I have been told some you can't reload and I need to know how to tell. Thanks for any help you can give me.

pretty much anything that's brass for the most part (with the exception of a few military primed brass) is reloadable. the steel cased stuff (dark gray usually) is not reloadable.

be sure to get the ok to pick up the brass that is not yours if you are on a commercial range. a lot of places recycle or resell that stuff themselves and the rule is you can only pick up your brass. other places don't care. just ask first.

First is it real brass? If not toss it. Second take a flashlight and look inside at the primer, if you see two holes throw it back.One hole bring it home.

Agree This^^^
2 flash holes is berdan primed, it is reloadable but special attention and tools to do it. 1 flash hole is boxer primed, standard reloading dies to reload. Take a magnet, some looks like brass but is not. Most brass in the calibers your looking at will be brass though. If there are other shooters around or at a commercial range Do Ask, I usually pick up brass myself but I always ask because I don't want to pickup some elses unless it's okay. And I never pickup while others are shooting it's a distraction.

I get it all if its a caliber I reload. The berdan brass goes in a bucket as they can be reloaded if you can find primers and believe it or not they do show up from time to time. The berdan stuff is stored and not used right now, but since it can be reloaded its still a keeper for me. If I get to much I can take them to the recycler and get $$ for them.

Steel goes in a seperate bucket for the recycler.

Back
Top Bottom