• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brass Shining Made Easy!

In the winter, I run 100w incandescent lights in the shop.

After setting the brass in an old skillet, I lower a hooded lamp with one of these bulbs over said skillet.

The brass dries very quickly.

I have begun loading in small batches because there are short wait times with the Mosin sights I make, especially. They get heat and chemicals as both prep and finish.

I therefore have time that I need to use, but it's not enough to really switch gears to something else.

Mating the sight manufacture with brass prep with wet tumbling, which likewise requires wait times, only seems natural.

Regards,

Josh

You can get this same result without a wet tumbler. I use a similar solution in my cement mixer for large batches. But when I have a small batch I put the in a jar with hot water, lemon juice and dawn. Shake well and let sit for a couple of hours or even over night. Then dry and dry tumble. The results are great.
I tried this method today. I put a handful of 300 blackout brass, some 6.5 brass, and some .40 brass in a quart sized Mason jar. It was about half full. I added water, Dawn, and lemon juice. Shook every fifteen minutes for three hours. Water was dirty, but brass was not clean enough for me. Did it again, but with SCALDING hot water. Shook it occasionally and left it for over five more hours. Not a whole lot of difference. So, for me, I will continue to tumble with pins.

I used water, dish soap, and a few spays of my spray turtle wax. I've also recently purchased some Lemi-shine, and some nufinish. I run walnut first, then prep my brass, then run through the water dish soap, and turtle spray. My brass looks like factory! I also don't use steel pins.

My personal preference is brass with a "jewelry" finish. Recipe: Thumlers high speed, SS pins, auto wash and wax, 1/4 TSP of Lemi-Shine.

Pics of brass:

1/2 corn & 1/2 walnut mix with a capful of nufinish car wax, walnut cuts the crud and the corn polishes. Those wet tumblers take too much time, but they shure look purdy though.

Back
Top Bottom