• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Broke off a bolt today. (Fixed)

What kind of car is it?
Would it be less of a headache to just replace the knuckle?
I was just a few minutes behind you lol I had this happen the other day and had to go that route. Something I never thought to replace on my high mileage truck was the caliper bolts. They are some TOUGH steel on my tacoma. We drilled, heated, broke EZ out bits, cussed, and just had to go find a used knuckle with decent ball joints.

A method that I usually save as a last resort, cut a slot in it with a hacksaw blade and then try and curl it in like a roll pin with a hammer and punch/chisel/screw driver

What kind of car is it?
Would it be less of a headache to just replace the knuckle?

I was just a few minutes behind you lol I had this happen the other day and had to go that route. Something I never thought to replace on my high mileage truck was the caliper bolts. They are some TOUGH steel on my tacoma. We drilled, heated, broke EZ out bits, cussed, and just had to go find a used knuckle with decent ball joints.

A method that I usually save as a last resort, cut a slot in it with a hacksaw blade and then try and curl it in like a roll pin with a hammer and punch/chisel/screw driver
It seems to be steering knuckle time.

I was going the curl it in route.
Cuss

Either that or take it to a shop to fix or sleeve.

Sequoia 4x4. I over torqued it on reassembly.
It could still be saved, I have just hit my man hour limit.

I normally pay $50-60 for a knuckle assembly aa a salvage yard. Heck sometimes they're even too lazy to remove the caliper so I have a shelf of extras

Reactions: MRM
For a last try Maybe you can drive a big flathead screwdriver with a square shaft into the hole until it grips-in, then turn the screwdriver shaft with an open ended wrench on a granny bar. It might mess the threads, but it might break the bond. Especially if you get the knuckle hot with a candle for a few minutes, and then freeze the bolt right before you get on it.

Reactions: MRM
Drive a bolt the same size that you drilled the hole from the other side. Then remove the head if the bolt. Weld a nut on the side that you are trying to take out.
Normally if I break a bolt off I just weld a little larger nut to it and turn it out, works like a champ.

It is drilled and filed paper thin except where the bolt starts.
I've been working from the opposite side mainly.
I have about three turns picked away.
The threads look pretty good considering.
But they are crossed or boogered.
The tap won't start either.

I could buy a reamer...
Phone was too dead for pictures.

I normally pay $50-60 for a knuckle assembly aa a salvage yard. Heck sometimes they're even too lazy to remove the caliper so I have a shelf of extras
I was upgrading the calipers to the larger 03 version.
It is an 02.

Back
Top Bottom