• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Broken racks on deer

TheGman

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
221   0
Reaction score
I have seen lots of broken racks on bucks at the farm this year. It’s normal to see some developed racks on one side and one side spike, I think that will rectify itself next year.
My concern is broken racks, talked to guy behind me (lease) he said same some nice bucks with one side broken off.
i think about minerals , nutrition.

Two questions what mineral sites do you prepare?

What protein pellets do you feed , if any and why.

I’ve tried a couple of brands, Antler max, Rack Plus, Buck Muscle.

If they're getting broken from sparring/fighting I'm not sure there's anything to do about it.
My opinion, if you're seeing broken rack bucks, your buck/doe ratio must be pretty good, otherwise they wouldn't need to fight/compete for the does.
I'd say you've got it going on pretty good...........but I'm no expert, just my thoughts

If they're getting broken from sparring/fighting I'm not sure there's anything to do about it.
My opinion, if you're seeing broken rack bucks, your buck/doe ratio must be pretty good, otherwise they wouldn't need to fight/compete for the does.
I'd say you've got it going on pretty good...........but I'm no expert, just my thoughts
I do think that there is a lot of competition. There were scrapes literally all over the hardwood forest. I must have seen 75 scrapes a month ago maybe more.

17A0AD52-3042-4268-82D2-B6E9807F2E8B.jpeg

This guy had a broken rack but he was the only one I saw with that this year. Food wise I’ve just been doing corn with a wheat attracted that was higher in protein and fat

Interesting post, as we reflected in the Blinds and pits duck hunting in Arkansas this past week, The boys and I discussed the same thing.. We also felt their were more weird genetics running around, than our last 15 years combined on our property.. Example a huge 5 on one side with a fork on the other on cam. It seemed like very few bucks were symmetrical without broken, or missing G2', G3's, and cracked mains... of course the 4 bucks harvested all had great racks... so maybe I will chalk it up to fighting..

I am anxious if we will see the same pattern next year..

Our county is a huge AG county with Corn, soybeans and Peanuts all around us... We create food plots to draw in the does and hope bucks follow in, or hunt some staging area outside of food plots to get a crack at the big boys..

Interesting post, as we reflected in the Blinds and pits duck hunting in Arkansas this past week, The boys and I discussed the same thing.. We also felt their were more weird genetics running around, than our last 15 years combined on our property.. Example a huge 5 on one side with a fork on the other on cam. It seemed like very few bucks were symmetrical without broken, or missing G2', G3's, and cracked mains... of course the 4 bucks harvested all had great racks... so maybe I will chalk it up to fighting..

I am anxious if we will see the same pattern next year..

Our county is a huge AG county with Corn, soybeans and Peanuts all around us... We create food plots to draw in the does and hope bucks follow in, or hunt some staging area outside of food plots to get a crack at the big boys..
It is strange and yes likely fighting.

i want to do what I can to enhance the herd.

After the rut 90% of ours are broke, if your buck to doe ratio pretty close they gonna fight.we usually find a couple dead gored in belly neck.i look at it as nature.i have watched a couple of real fights and it’s something to see.
81CD83D6-C151-4DAD-B0DE-8919933B3CC3.jpeg

My cousin sent a photo from last week of a nice buck at a feeder when I zoom in there are two bucks in rear fighting.

I’ve never seen it in person.

Back
Top Bottom