• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Browning BDM

Wheeler

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
132   0
Reaction score
For those of us that remember the 'wondernines' of the late 80's and early 90's, the Browning BDM is probably the most unique of all the entrys. BDM stands for Browning, Double Mode. Browning submitted there pistol rather late in the process, did not market it aggresively, and got little interest from law enforcement and the civilian market.

The early versions were released before the the Assault Weapons Ban of 1993. These came with two fifteen round magazines. Later versions were released with two ten round magazines. My version has two ten round magazines that appear to be original to the pistol, as well as one more ten round magazine that appears to be fairly new.

The BDM has a host of 'custom' and unique features. My version is all steel, two tone that weighs 28 ounces unloaded. It has a 4 1/2" barrel, a pinned patridge style front sight, the rear sight bears a remarkable resemblence to the original Heine sights. Sights are 3-dot with the front dot being red and the rear dots white. The rear sight is adjustable for windage.

The slide is tapered, to aid in one-handed reholstering. This gun is probably the thinnest double stack 9mm I have ever handled. It is only slightly wider than a 1911. The magazine release in frame mounted behind the trigger guard and can be moved for left or right handed use.

On to the unique; Double Mode or Dual Mode means that this gun can be changed from double action only to double/single action. That's right, with just a turn of a switch you can change the trigger mechanism of this gun. The second unique feature is the ambidextrous safety/decocker/slide release lever. I personally think that this did more to kill the sales in the US than anything (at the time) as safe is down, and off safe is up.

Wheeler

I started off with a live fire function test. First magazine, one round, second magazine, two rounds, third magazine three rounds. I was dismayed to find that two of the magazines would not lock the slide back. Also with one magazine the last round would not fully extract. I'll research that further next range trip.

The trigger break was in an odd (to me) spot, about 3/4 of the way back. I also noticed a lot of gun movement in my hand. After 30 rounds the web of my hand was starting to get sore. Once again, more research on that on subsequent range trips.

Grouping was decent, not as good as I prefer though. I'm blaming that on trigger control for now. The next post will have comparison targets.

Browning BDM

i600.photobucket.com_albums_tt86_Wheeler686_100_0981.jpg

BDM Dual Mode Selector Switch

i600.photobucket.com_albums_tt86_Wheeler686_100_0983.jpg

Wheeler

Last edited:
A final shot of the 15 yard target with the BDM. Unfortunately my camera phone died (low battery) and I was unable to take pictures of the S&W target. Grouping was about the same.

Browning BDM 15 yards

i600.photobucket.com_albums_tt86_Wheeler686_Photo0311.jpg

Wheeler

These pistols were brought out just prior to the Clinton Assault weapons/high capacity magazine ban that sunsetted and they nearly had a federal contract but as in politics who you go to bed with is not necessarily who you awaken with and Browning lost the contract due to a last minute caliber change. These pistols are arguably one of thinnest double stack "wonder nines". Browning had some large shoes to fill with this new gun and this pistol was to be the update of the P35/High Power. Large shoes indeed and to a classic Browning design.

That being said, this pistol is by far one of the best values for the buck I have every found. It is a unique design that allows the owner some latitude in setting it up in combat mode (DA/SA-DA only). High capacity factory magazines are expensive and sometimes difficult to locate. Cheaper aftermarket mags can still be had for a reasonable price. Link: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=716175 I have used the pro mags and they work ok but they are more difficult to load and do not have the lip on the bottom of the mag designed to switch the DA/SA mode like originals.
Good write up and nice shooting Wheeler. You have an excellent modern 9mm pistola there.

Last edited:
These pistols were brought out just prior to the Clinton Assault weapons/high capacity magazine ban that sunsetted and they nearly had a federal contract but as in politics who you go to bed with is not necessarily who you awaken with and Browning lost the contract due to a last minute caliber change. These pistols are arguably one of thinnest double stack "wonder nines". Browning had some large shoes to fill with this new gun and this pistol was to be the update of the P35/High Power. Large shoes indeed and to a classic Browning design.
That being said, this pistol is by far one of the best values for the buck I have every found. It is a unique design that allows the owner some latitude in setting it up in combat mode (DA/SA-DA only). High capacity factory magazines are expensive and sometimes difficult to locate. Cheaper aftermarket mags can still be had for a reasonable price. Link: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=716175 I have used the pro mags and they work ok but they are more difficult to load and do not have the lip on the bottom of the mag designed to switch the DA/SA mode like originals.
Good write up and nice shooting Wheeler. You have an excellent modern 9mm pistola there.

Thanks a lot RamRoddoc. After shooting the BDM for a bit I figured out a couple of things about mine. The recoil spring needs to be replaced, it has a lot of muzzle flip. While the grips are extremely thin (not much thicker than a 1911 .45), I don't like them. My answer to that was to take a slip grip, trim it to fit, then wrap it with splicing tape (similar in texture and feel to skater's tape but with better adhesive and not as prone to unravel). I also need to replace the magazine springs in all three of the magazines. The springs are too weak to push the follower up enough to lock the slide.

After this weekend I am going to put my revolvers up for awhile and concentrate on shooting the BDM as a match gun. The break on the double action feels wierd to me after shooting S&W revolvers but, I actually like the double action over the DA/SA.

Thanks for the link on magazines as well. I'd like to pick up a few extra as three just isn't enough for any sort of serious match.

Wheeler

Back
Top Bottom