• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Browning stops production of Hi Power

This is one of those guns that is expensive to make by modern standards. Solid steel, lots of machining, all the intricate work done on old machinery.

Thousands of people online will claim they would love to buy one, and Browning should bring it back; they should listen to their customers and millions of people would buy one if they made it. "Bring it back! Bring back the Hi-Power! No wonder Browning is losing money......they won't make the product everyone is begging for!"
Meanwhile, if that had been happening all along they wouldn’t be ceasing production.

They needed the room at the plant at FN Herstal. Everything was done on machines from the 1930's and 1940's, then sent to Portugal for assembly. The engineer that managed it was due to retire and they didn't want to invest in updating everything or try to retrain someone.

When you think that it was the last pistol created by John Moses Browning, I would guess that someone will do it again without some of the features he put in the original Hi-Power to get around the Colt 1911 patent. A lot of this is what they do at Novak and Cylinder & Slide.

There are already clones still being made of it, so new manufactured models will exist. The military surplus market is flooded with them and their clones as well.

Im glad I finally picked one up not to long ago. I guess Ill need to find a user as well in the future.

s-l1600.jpg

Ah, the less sexy younger sister of the 1911.

Every time someone suggests any other pistol platform is superior to the 1911, I laugh cause I know it’ll go out of production well before the 1911.

Looks like another just fell into that category.

Interesting. According to RECOIL magazine, FN stopped production in 2015 and have finally run out of parts to assemble BHP’s for sale.

“FNH tore down the Liege Hi Power production line around February 2015, right about the time the last of the FS2000’s left the plant, bound for someplace warm. I know, I was there. It’s taken Browning three years to work through the collection of spare parts they had on hand, before finally announcing the GP35’s demise. I’d hoped they’d use that time to design a worthy successor to the Master’s final work, but alas not.”

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/putting-a-...tinues-the-hi-power-134785.html#ixzz56ah1BA7O

Back
Top Bottom