• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brunswick Stew

Can someone explain to a northern what is traditional Brunswick Stew?
Well, if you ask the folks in Appalachia, it has squirrel and anything else that was recently shot. Stew can and does have many variations depending on what folks had/have in the house. Some like chicken and pork, some with beef. Potatoes, corn, okra......it’s all how you like it.

Well, if you ask the folks in Appalachia, it has squirrel and anything else that was recently shot. Stew can and does have many variations depending on what folks had/have in the house. Some like chicken and pork, some with beef. Potatoes, corn, okra......it’s all how you like it.

Oh ok. So it was like created out of a need to feed and using whatever was available at the time?

I LEARNED TO MAKE BRUNSWICK STEW FROM HELPING MY DAD FROM TIME I WAS ABOUT 8 YEARS OLD , RECIPIE WAS IN HIS HEAD AND MINE SAME WAY ! LEARNED HOW TO MAKE SAUSAGE AND CURE OUT HAMS AND MIDDLIN MEAT AT SAME TIME ! HE PASSED ABOUT 43 YEARS AGO AND THIS IS MY WAY OF KEEPING HIS MEMORY ALIVE !

bless your heart somebody done lied to you honey.

2 cups of sugar? WTF? And you’re knocking my recipe cause it has potatoes?

Not knocking your recipe. If you want to be wrong by adding potatoes to your Brunswick Stew, by all means; be wrong. I am tolerate of diversity :)

As far as the recipe posted, I was simply looking for one w hog's heads in it and didn't even see the sugar. I have never made Brunswick Stew. From what I have heard, it is entirely too time consuming and I don't own a cast iron wash pot. My Lt does make it and I have heard hours of Brunswick Stew making stories (he does not use sugar, btw). I remember as a child my grandmother making stew, ONCE, the recipe she used called for like 4 hog heads, several chickens, gallons of corn/tomatoes, etc; I have that recipe around here somewhere. I ate Brunswick Stew for every meal for what seemed like months. One day, I want to try to make it.

I like trying different recipes of stew but my youngest son makes the best stew I’ve ever had. He’s made it for a local restaurant/bar several times and it sells out in no time. I wish I had the recipe but he’s always busy and so far he hasn’t written it down for me. I do know when he makes small batches he cooks it slow in a cast iron dutch oven if I’m not mistaken. For large batches he has 5 gal pots he uses, it is really good stew.

I've been reading about Brunswick Stew for 2 days now and it's all I can think about. I tried this recipe but instead of canned chicken, I used a rotisserie chicken. AND, I added potatoes! I don't have 3 days to cook dinner, this was pretty good.

20190130_194601.jpg

Back
Top Bottom