• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

BSA Considers Bankruptcy

I remember 15 years ago, I talked to some Scouts that rarely went camping.
Their activities consisted of playing video games indoors, talking, horseplay, and occasionally taking walks on paved or wooden-planked exercise paths. Nothing rough, nothing wild, nothing INTERESTING.

In areas with a big Hispanic population, there was soccer. "Scouting and futbal" they called it.

But, I don't know that the BSA told the kids "no" to the camping, the backpacking, the pitch-your-own-test and bring-your-own-sleeping bag activities. The kids probably just got lazy and soft. It's a new generation of couch cushions among the youth today. I'll assume that modern age kids just don't WANT that stuff, or at least they don't want it enough to eagerly ask for it and have high participation rates when the local Troop schedules such events.

Their activities consisted of playing video games indoors, talking, horseplay, and occasionally taking walks on paved or wooden-planked exercise paths. Nothing rough, nothing wild, nothing INTERESTING.

In areas with a big Hispanic population, there was soccer. "Scouting and futbal" they called it.

But, I don't know that the BSA told the kids "no" to the camping, the backpacking, the pitch-your-own-test and bring-your-own-sleeping bag activities. The kids probably just got lazy and soft. It's a new generation of couch cushions among the youth today. I'll assume that modern age kids just don't WANT that stuff, or at least they don't want it enough to eagerly ask for it and have high participation rates when the local Troop schedules such events.

^ this

i think its just lack of interest in the activities boy scouts do. Thats the biggest thing i think thats hurting them.

BSA didn't change, the children did. It wasn't to long ago I was an active Eagle Scout. My cousins tried for BSA but honestly besides the once or twice a year camping it was hard to get boys to want to learn. Some did, most didn't want to get out of the house or away from TV/video games long enough to earn a badge. It's a sad state of affairs honestly.

I just did "boy scouts" at the house. My kids could build a fire from scratch with a single match.
Cut with a knife, machete, axe, hatchet, and a chainsaw.
The first rule of boy scouts, "Be prepared", then you don't have to rub sticks together to build a fire.

I think it's more of today's parents more so than today's kids.
People stopped raising their kids decades ago, they left it up to the government.

When I was a kid, it was a real treat to sleep outside under the stars, today kids (and parents) look at it as a chore. I still go out with friends (other former Scouters) when we can, although we don't adhere to the "Guide to Safe Scouting"... typically most of us will have a firearm available, and plenty of "snake-bite medicine". Last time the "medicine" ran out the first night and we needed to replenish the supply.

So, is there enough demand among Americans (kids, and their parents) for a true conservative, all-American-values PRIVATE organization?
If they won't let gay men sleep in tents with boys, you can forget about any grant money, non-governmental private charity money, etc. Even most churches and religious groups won't support any private group that discriminates against gay and transgendered folks. Liberal / pacifist churches would oppose teaching scouts shooting, archery, or things involving weapons, too.

Therefore, if Scouting, or some replacement movement that aims to be what Scouting was in the 1930s-1970s were to be developed and organized and made available in every part of the USA, would THE PEOPLE want it? Would they send their kids there, and would they pay the dues and activity fees (probably higher, since a non-PC group won't be allowed to have free meeting space at schools, churches, community centers owned by government, etc.)?

I found this from when I was in Scouts
IMG_1138.JPG

16E3EADD-8509-4F39-AA2B-1449125D1751.jpeg

I was a scout as a youth and served as a Scoutmaster as an adult. My two sons earned the Eagle Rank. The scout troops I was involved with went camping, canoeing or backpacking monthly year around. We went to Philmont, National Jamboree, Sea Base, hiked the AT, spent the night on the battleship USS Alabama, did a canoe trip in the Okefenokee swamp, spent the night in Lost Sea cave, and many more exciting places. It saddens me to see the decline of the Boy Scouts of America. It was a great organization that trained boys on outdoor skills, citizenship, and leadership. Unfortunately they lost their way under the pressure from the PC culture and the liberal left.

View attachment 1925888

I was a scout as a youth and served as a Scoutmaster as an adult. My two sons earned the Eagle Rank. The scout troops I was involved with went camping, canoeing or backpacking monthly year around. We went to Philmont, National Jamboree, Sea Base, hiked the AT, spent the night on the battleship USS Alabama, did a canoe trip in the Okefenokee swamp, spent the night in Lost Sea cave, and many more exciting places. It saddens me to see the decline of the Boy Scouts of America. It was a great organization that trained boys on outdoor skills, citizenship, and leadership. Unfortunately they lost their way under the pressure from the PC culture and the liberal left.

This was our experience as well. From cubs to eagle's(last in 2015), it was a huge part of our family live's (for the better) and it sickens me to see where they are now.

Back
Top Bottom