• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bubba the bubbe

FrogMan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
96   0
Reaction score
Assuming a double negative results in a positive I decided to Bubba this Bubba it.

I first Bought the rifle as a project and a after looking for the right wood for a while I decided to just buy another stock that had been the victim of Bubba. I figured the wood would be a better match and more material in the rifle would at least be period correct.
055 (2).JPG

I cut the forward part of the additional Bubba stock and then printed a plastic bracket to (kind of) hold it in place while i worked on it.
056 (2).JPG

059 (2).JPG

202 (2).jpg

some cutting and sanding later it started to look like something.
200 (2).JPG

199 (2).JPG

The next stpe will be to permanently attach the new front before stripping or sanding the old stock. any suggestions on the best glue and/or resin to use?

Assuming a double negative results in a positive I decided to Bubba this Bubba it.

I first Bought the rifle as a project and a after looking for the right wood for a while I decided to just buy another stock that had been the victim of Bubba. I figured the wood would be a better match and more material in the rifle would at least be period correct.
View attachment 1495938

I cut the forward part of the additional Bubba stock and then printed a plastic bracket to (kind of) hold it in place while i worked on it.
View attachment 1495944
View attachment 1495945
View attachment 1495947

some cutting and sanding later it started to look like something.
View attachment 1495950

View attachment 1495952
The next stpe will be to permanently attach the new front before stripping or sanding the old stock. any suggestions on the best glue and/or resin to use?

You got skills man
:thumb:

after watching a couple of YouTube videos I decided to glue the two parts with epoxy and use the temporary plastic bracket I had made previously as an inside brace.
003 (2).JPG

The two part epoxy on the far left i will inject into the stock parts around the plastic bracket after first gluing the two pieces together with the middle epoxy (I think).
004 (2).JPG

before starting the glue process i sprayed the barrel with some epoxy release agent I had laying around usually I use Vaseline on larger projects like this where Im not trying to get super fine cast but decided to use this instead as the oils from the Vaseline might soak up int the wood.

Glue job seems to be strong. Seam can clearly be seen but then again the intention was newer to hide the repair.
019.JPG

next step is to remove the old lacquer or whatever Bubba finished the stock with. Then to address a large crack in the hand guard, Bubba had put filler in it that had cracked again and was ugly, Im thinking of just removing the filler and stabilize it without actually closing and filling it.

Back
Top Bottom