• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buffalo Trace 750 ml

ok educate me. Ill admit Im no bourbon connoisseur and honestly it all seems to taste the same. What is so special about the Blantons?
Scarcity mostly. There's just not much of it.

It was the first single barrel bourbon ever sold back in 1984 (?)

I like it and think it's very good. Some people prefer other bourbons. But even though I like it it's definitely not worth $139 to me.

040D674D-E43C-4D3E-BA6D-7861E5B9CD9F.jpeg

Its a really good $60-$80 single barrel bourbon that people love to sell for over $100...lol. If you can get it for retail, its a pretty good bourbon.
that's how I feel about Pappy's. I got to try a taste ($50 a pour) but I was celebrating my first Father's Day.

won the chance to buy a bottle at retail (~$80?) and had to decide to drink or flip for the ~$400 it was going for at the time. My wife said while the money would be nice, it's unlikely you get the chance to do it again so enjoy. I had some at christmas, some when my second son was born, and finally kicked the bottle the night I moved from Texas to GA. Not worth secondary prices but damn good juice

that's how I feel about Pappy's. I got to try a taste ($50 a pour) but I was celebrating my first Father's Day.

won the chance to buy a bottle at retail (~$80?) and had to decide to drink or flip for the ~$400 it was going for at the time. My wife said while the money would be nice, it's unlikely you get the chance to do it again so enjoy. I had some at christmas, some when my second son was born, and finally kicked the bottle the night I moved from Texas to GA. Not worth secondary prices but damn good juice
Pappy is totally not worth the markup, but I don't think any bourbon is. I am a little jaded though, I went down the bourbon rabbit hole years ago, when all those pappy bottles sat dusty on the shelves, My buddies and I used to go thru a bottle of pappy every couple weeks or so. Eagle rare 17 was one of my favorites and I used to pick up a few bottles a year, it was always a limited release but back then, it sat on the shelves because it costs more than Jim Beam..lol.

I had quite the bourbon collection when I got tied up working overseas for several years, and it just sat on the shelf. To my surprise, it suddenly because desirable and worth a little bit of money. I padded my X-mas budget using my bourbon bottles for a few years.

Most of it is gone now, I think all I have left unopened that is hard to find now is a couple of bottles of EH Taylor, some Blanton's (used to be my daily drinker) and some limited makers mark bottles etc. There may be some other stuff but nothing anyone would recognize or care about these days, I haven't looked in a while (in a box in basement).

These days my go to has been Elijah Craig, its pretty smooth and easy drinking, I can find it anywhere in the country, and it doesn't cost a fortune for a small batch bourbon. Buffalo Trace is a good mixer...lol

Marketing genius combined with dumb customers who like to be trendy in the culdisac standing around the egg grill. Meanwhile I cook great food on a weber grill and buy 35$ whiskey that tastes just as good as Blanton's. I always ask for a fine bottle of something when I work on a friend's gun. That's mostly how I've obtained Blanton's. Not every bottle of it is good in the single barrel system. I'd rather have a 35$ bottle of four roses when my wallet comes out.

Ive tried different bourbons and some high dollar johnny walker scothes. Even went to Jack Daniels and did the tour/tasting and I guess my palate has been ruined by fast food,copenhagen and bad women but it all taste the same to me. Although I was kinda partial to the Sinatra Select at JD! Apparently he loved it so much he was buried with a bottle.

Back
Top Bottom