• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buick 425 Nailhead

My many years ago limited experience. work on the oil system. make sure it oils the bottom end. build it for torque, If you expect to turn it out of the frame you have the wrong engine. Crane does cams on an order only basis, They will build you a torque cam. Clean up the ports on the heads and intake. Offy makes 2x4 and 3x2 intakes. If you are wanting max performance build a 6.0 LS.

Once had a 1970 455 motor with 10.25:1 compression in a 1975 Camaro. It consistently broke motor mounts. When I chained the engine to the frame it would fry the tires. Only 370HP, but 510 ft/lbs of torque. Kenny-Bell was "The Guy" for Buick stuff back then. With a stock 850cfm quadrajet (yes, a quadrajet) it got decent milage.

Once had a 1970 455 motor with 10.25:1 compression in a 1975 Camaro. It consistently broke motor mounts. When I chained the engine to the frame it would fry the tires. Only 370HP, but 510 ft/lbs of torque. Kenny-Bell was "The Guy" for Buick stuff back then. With a stock 850cfm quadrajet (yes, a quadrajet) it got decent milage.

The poor quadrajet is a much maligned carb. I've had good experiences as long as they're maintained. Haven't seen a big stock 850 in many moons!

Depends completely on application. You would need to give specific specs on the use of the vehicle. Type, weight, gearing etc.
In most common uses your premise would not be completely accurate.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-high-torque-and-high-power-engines
Put each engine in this and run an 1/8 mile.

1280px-Comp_Eliminator.JPG

Put each engine in this and run an 1/8 mile.

1280px-Comp_Eliminator.JPG
1/8 they will likely have similar numbers, as torque is king on the bottom end. 1/4 and the high hp will likely have the advantage. Although with the right gearing that can be mitigated if the drive train survives.
Your original statement was simply too broad.

Back
Top Bottom