• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building a barn

The wife and I started a project back in March that we've talked about for many years: Building a barn. Thought I'd share our progress here, as it's finally taking shape. It will be a 36x36, raised center aisle pole barn, with a loft in the center. We looked at having someone else build it, or maybe doing a metal building, but ultimately decided we could do this ourselves, save some coin with our labor, and enjoy the process. The labor is hard on our aging bodies, but it's been fun so far.

The plans are a 1990's University of Tennessee/USDA design. Just two pages of basic diagrams and specs for post spacing and wood sizes/positions. Not hard to follow, and easily customized. The dimensional lumber has all been from a building supplier or Home Depot. We're going to cut the siding, trim and doors using our sawmill from trees on the property.

Why a barn? Well, we've become hobby farmers, of sorts. At this point, a couple dozen chickens, 3 ducks, 3 goats, plus a cow or two in a neighbor's pasture. We have pens built for the animals. We need a dry place to store tractor, implements, hay, etc. My wife uses lumber we mill on our sawmill for artwork she sells, and we need a place to dry the lumber, too. And I'd love to free up my garage of logging and yard equipment, so we can park cars in the garage, as originally intended.

So...barn. Hope to have it functional by the fall.
View attachment 4421471
Looks great! In for updates.

The wife and I started a project back in March that we've talked about for many years: Building a barn. Thought I'd share our progress here, as it's finally taking shape. It will be a 36x36, raised center aisle pole barn, with a loft in the center. We looked at having someone else build it, or maybe doing a metal building, but ultimately decided we could do this ourselves, save some coin with our labor, and enjoy the process. The labor is hard on our aging bodies, but it's been fun so far.

The plans are a 1990's University of Tennessee/USDA design. Just two pages of basic diagrams and specs for post spacing and wood sizes/positions. Not hard to follow, and easily customized. The dimensional lumber has all been from a building supplier or Home Depot. We're going to cut the siding, trim and doors using our sawmill from trees on the property.

Why a barn? Well, we've become hobby farmers, of sorts. At this point, a couple dozen chickens, 3 ducks, 3 goats, plus a cow or two in a neighbor's pasture. We have pens built for the animals. We need a dry place to store tractor, implements, hay, etc. My wife uses lumber we mill on our sawmill for artwork she sells, and we need a place to dry the lumber, too. And I'd love to free up my garage of logging and yard equipment, so we can park cars in the garage, as originally intended.

So...barn. Hope to have it functional by the fall.
View attachment 4421471
Any updates...I'm interested in actually building a bardominium style home on my property and this inspired me a bit.

That is just awesome ! Good luck with it and keep posting pics and all along the way ! Great choice too ! I applaud you.

Any updates...I'm interested in actually building a bardominium style home on my property and this inspired me a bit.

Had to put it aside for nearly a year to get another projects done and deal with a heavy day-job workload.

I'm getting ready to get back to it. Have to put up some purlins, and then it will be time for the roof.

Back
Top Bottom