• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building a collection from scratch.

Your list looks ...practical, which is good if you're just starting out or have gotten to the point where you don't own guns as status symbols.
Do you have a purpose in mind for each gun (home defense, concealed carry, etc), it appears you do but I might just be reading that into the post.
I don't own any milsurp but would like to again when my finances allow. I don't have a large caliber bolt gun at this time because I simply have no where to shoot it.
I do own a couple of .357 revolvers that don't get shot a lot but I do always take one each time I go to the range.

I've owned all manner of guns thanks to this site over the years. AKs, Mosins, cheap shotguns, S&W revolvers, 1911s, etc. I don't have a whole lot of interest in owning what I'd consider "play guns" anymore, but I've held on to a few that are sentimental. Colt Diamondback, Colt Officer's Model 38, early 80s Marlin 336, old Hawken BP, etc.

Outside of those I'm working to cover all my actual uses with guns I'm purchasing new; taking the tool-box approach.

The G19 is my EDC and the 43 is my wife's. I have tons of spare parts, mags, and ammo for both.

The Colt 6720 is my home defense long gun, after the EDC 19 on the night stand. Plenty of mags/ammo/parts there too.

(^ These get shot a lot as I view that as an essential skill to keep up, just like going to the gym)

The 870 12ga would be my dove and duck gun, and I've read the ones being built right now are much improved over the basket cases of the last 5 years.

The 700 would be a general purpose hunting rifle and long(er) range rifle since my AR wears iron sights.

The 10/22 is pretty unnecessary since I don't ever shoot rimfire anymore. I like to maximize my range time with my actual "working" guns as I don't have much free time as it is.

I've started the same purpose driven process myself. Being busy, young kids and limited storage with how I'm set up at the moment, I think collecting is a good 10 years off. The only gun I have left to turn into something "sensible" is the 44. I do like older guns so am thinking of turning the 1300 into something interesting like an ex-corrections or LEO shotgun to serve the same purpose. Interesting process, an a bit of fun that everybodys solution is going to be different.

M&P 22 - cheap practice
LCP - carry
Glock 23 - things that go bump in the night
Ruger Blackhawk 44mag -

Savage Model 12 .223 - range time trying to be serious
AR in 7.62x39 - range time fun
H&R Handi .444 - hunting

Winchester 1300 - HD
Rem 870 - hunting

Two guns that need to be in any serious collection. One is a N frame S&W that is pinned and recessed. My suggestion is a M27 with a dash number -2 or lower, 6.5 inch barrel or shorter. The M27 is the flagship of the S&W line. Secondly, a snub M19 with a dash number that is -4 or lower. It is difficult to believe that any serious collector would not have a M19 snub in his collection.
A good solid lever action rifle. A Marlin, JM stamped and pre safety would be ideal. I would recommend one in .44mag. Great rifles.
A 1911 full size has to be part of a collection. There are so many to choose from, but a Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Wilson, etc would be what I would want to have.
ARs are plentiful right now, and the prices are dropping. A good one, is a must.
If you like old style, then an AK has to be part of your collection.

There are just so many options, but when I look at a collection of rifles and handguns, those are what I look to see.

Blake:

Your collection looks like it's off to a good start.

Personally, I'd like a smaller handgun than a Glock 19 for my daily carry weapon, but if you are happy with it (keeping in mind that the G43 isn't for you, it's for the wife), that's great. It's a good gun if you don't mind the bulk of it. (or weight, when fully loaded ).

Like you, I only have one shotgun for everything and it's configured as a sporting tool. No side-saddle ammo carrier, no single-point sling. No ghost rings. I do have both a long, vent-ribbed, sporting barrel that uses screw-in choke tubes AND an 18.5" smoothbore barrel for it. If I needed another "long gun" for home defense or hunting deeor or hogs in thick cover where I could not expect a shot longer than 25 yards, that's what I'd use as a brush-busting gun.

What rifle would you use for shooting 100 to 200 yards, just for fun and to challenge your accuracy skills?
THe Rem 700 is good, but overkill for that close, and the ammo is expensive.
Could you use a second upper for your AR-- one that you'll have scoped? Maybe a 20" barrel with a 3x- 9x scope? It may be more fun to plink with that than the bolt-action .308.

I would make a Ruger 10/22 one of my "must have" rifles, too, but you say you don't really use it? Why not? Do you think that might change in the future? The shotgun with birdshot can take care of your small game hunting and pest control needs, out to about 40 yards. The .223, if you scope it, can do your varmint and predator killing out to a few hundred yards. If you don't like owning a .22 rifle, why not pass on that, and use the money to get a different gun?

Perhaps a .22 pistol. Ruger SR22 or Sig Mosquito? You like tactical training, and these guns are good for that role. They have that look and feel of a modern defensive handgun.

If survival and quiet hunting is something you want to be ready for, how about a Ruger Charger pistol instead?
It fits in a small backpack or book bag, fully assembled. It's accurate. Fun to shoot, being a semi-auto that uses 25-round mags.

Or, for a more conventional .22 pistol that you can use one-handed easily, a Browning Buck Mark or the new S&W "Victory" .22 semi-auto.

I've been carrying the G19 for several years in a kydex appendix holster and have no issue with the weight/bulk/printing and I'm not a big guy. I think the chest to waist ratio is the important factor. I carry under a t-shirt all the time. If I have to get into a gun fight I'd rather have a true fighting sized pistol.

I dove hunt a couple times a year and haven't deer or hog hunted in 3 years or more so I may not spend the money on a bolt gun. I could press the 6720 into deer hunting service if the opportunity arose. I have an Aimpoint PRO that I need to get acquainted with anyway. Maybe eventually, like you said, get a 20" scoped upper as well.

I'll probably be best served to get an 870 with 18.5" and 28" barrels. I have a nice Mossberg 20ga auto I bought for last dove season and it's great, but too specialized for me. The 5.56 AR and 870 should cover everything from a practicality standpoint.

First what is the purpose of your collection. Are you wanting specific models, types, brands? I used to buy everything that interested me with no rhyme or reason except I liked it. So collection had no direction. I then decided to collect one type gun that interested me and find out all I could about it and search for them. Made collecting more fun and actually easier. While working on that collection which most of are never shot. I then focused my attention on guns I liked to shoot and worked on consolidating my calibers and platforms. Which I am still working on.

I work a ton and have very little free time so buying guns is no longer recreation for me. I spent years buying/selling/trading on here and previously GON and it was all mostly stuff that happened to catch my interest at the moment without an end reason in mind.

Using the word "collection" was a mistake. The purpose of this is me filling the toolbox with the proper tools for my needs.

Back
Top Bottom